Mechanical Engineering MSc
- Entry requirements: 2:1 (or above)
- Year of entry: 2017
- Full-time: 1 year
- Location: Loughborough
- Part-time: 3 years
- School: Mechanical, Electrical and Manufacturing Engineering
The programme is aimed at both new graduates and engineering professionals who wish to develop advanced skills in engineering science, design and technology.
Loughborough University is ranked 3rd in the UK for overall quality of research in mechanical, manufacturing, aeronautical and chemical engineering in the latest Government Research Exercise, and the School received a Queen’s Anniversary Prize for Higher and Further Education, in recognition of the research being carried out.
This programme is designed to meet the challenges of the rapidly changing global market; the availability of well-designed products, processes and systems is the foundation of successful commercial enterprises. You will develop the technical and transferable skills highly sought after by industry or academic research.
Modules are taught by leading experts in the field, and content is directly informed by the latest industry advancements and our research expertise.
As a student within the School of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering you will have access to a range of state-of-the-art equipment. Our computer labs are open 24/7 and use some of the latest industry standard software including STAR-CCM and CAD.
We have high-tech laboratories devoted to
- Dynamics and control
- Fluid mechanics
- Optical engineering
- Structural integrity
You will learn through a carefully balanced combination of lectures, in-class guided workshops, hands-on computer modelling and independent research.
The programme consists of eight, week-long, taught lecture modules plus project work. Each taught module is self-contained and covers a complete target. This programme is available in both full-time and part-time forms. Full-time students commence their studies on the first Monday in October for a period of 12 months. Part-time students may commence their registration at any time between October and the following March, and may take a maximum period of 8 years to complete the programme.
On completion of this programme, students should be able to:
- Plan and monitor multi-disciplinary projects;
- appreciate the central role of design within engineering;
- demonstrate competence in using computer based engineering techniques;
- analyse and understand complex engineering problems; and
- use team working skills and communicate effectively at an advanced technical level.
- An outstanding place to study. Mechanical Engineering at Loughborough is ranked in the UK top 10 in the Times Good University Guide 2015
- Research-led teaching from international experts. Ranked 3rd in the UK for overall quality of research in mechanical, manufacturing, aeronautical and chemical engineering in the latest Government Research Exercise
- Fully accredited by The Institution of Mechanical Engineers and The Institution of Engineering and Technology.
An honours degree (2:1 or above) or equivalent overseas qualification in any engineering discipline, or HND with appropriate industrial experience. Applicants with a lower second class honours degree (2:2) will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Overseas qualification equivalencies can be found here.
All applicants for admission to Loughborough University must have a qualification in English Language before they can be admitted to any course or programme, whether their first language is English or not. Find out more here.