Student handbook

Undergraduate programmes


The University recognises that some students may wish to change their chosen programme of study after they have commenced it. Transfer between programmes (including between undergraduate Masters and Bachelors variants) is possible, to which Regulation IX applies. Students do not have an automatic right to transfer, they require permission from the accepting School, which is entitled to set conditions. Advice on transferring to a new programme should be sought from your personal tutor and the admissions tutor in the accepting School.

You are also advised to seek guidance from the Student Advice and Support Service regarding how changing your studies may affect your financial circumstances (including student loan) and immigration status.  If you hold a Tier 4 visa, you should be aware that you may need to return to your home country to apply for a new visa before transferring to a new programme.  

If you do get agreement to transfer to a new programme (including between the undergraduate Masters and Bachelors variants), you will need to complete an internal transfer request form which should be returned to:

Student Office
Rutland Building 
Loughborough University
Loughborough, Leicestershire
LE11 3TU

Or by email to

Your School will be able to provide you with a copy of the form and give you advice on how to complete it. Alternatively, the form can be downloaded below but will not be processed until all the relevant staff have seen and signed the request. If you are required to apply for a new Tier 4 visa, you will need to have obtained this before your record is updated and you can commence your new programme.

For information on adding or removing placement years from your programme, please see separate information on placement years.