Training and events
Summer Showcase 2018
Our annual Summer Showcase is taking place on 6th June 2018 in the James France Exhibition Area, from 9.30am – 12.30pm (#LboroDCShowcase)
You will be able to show off your work and hear about the great research being undertaken by your peers.
Here’s a little taster of what’s in store:
Summer Showcase Poster Competition
Open to all Loughborough Doctoral Researchers, this competition requires entrants to communicate their research succinctly to a non-specialist audience. There are a range of cash prizes to be won (the top prize will be £100) and if you would like to enter, please follow the poster competition guidance below.
Three Minute Thesis (3MT®) Competition
This tense and energetic competition will feature several Doctoral Researchers concisely explaining their research in just three minutes using just one static slide! Do they have what it takes? Can they communicate their ideas/discoveries and research significance to a non-specialist audience clearly and succinctly? Can they stay within the three-minute timeframe or will they run over and be disqualified? What will the judges think? And who will win the top prize of an iPad Mini?
If you would like to enter the competition, please click here for more information including the competition application form.
And last but by no means least, there’ll be a delicious buffet lunch provided for all those registered to attend!
Loughborough University and Loughborough University London Doctoral Researchers are invited to create and present a poster that showcases their current research. The most successful posters are those that have been specifically designed for a non-specialist audience.
How do I enter?
If you intend to submit a poster, please input your details via the link below by 30th May 2018.
You must bring your size A1 (portrait/landscape) or A0 (portrait only) poster on the morning of the event between 9.00am and 9:30am to display it. All poster entrants will be invited to stand by their poster for a 50-minute period during the poster viewing session. This will give an opportunity for delegates and the judges to ask questions about your research. You may find it helpful to prepare a short elevator style pitch prior to the conference to explain your poster.
Are there any poster requirements?
For information on how to create an effective poster please read our conference poster guidelines below.
- Posters size should be either A1 (portrait/landscape) or A0 (portrait only).
- Posters should be able to clearly communicate research without the author present.
- Posters should include:
- A short, catchy, title.
- Names of authors and their affiliated institutions.
- Funding attributions (if applicable).
- High resolution logos (as appropriate).
- Posters should be designed with a non-specialist audience in mind. Avoid using technical jargon to allow those from different disciplines to understand and engage with your research.
- Posters should take no longer than 5 minutes for someone to read. Posters are not journal articles. Keep text concise and avoid lengthy paragraphs.
- Posters should have a logical flow of information to allow the reader to navigate content with ease. Use headings/numbers/arrows etc. as visual aids.
- Posters should be visually appealing. Use colour, font and images appropriately and ensure a balance of text, figures and space.
- Posters should be clear and easy to read. Font size must be readable from approximately 1 metre away and there should be a high contrast between text and background.
- Figures (if used) should be easily interpretable, clearly labelled and of high resolution.
- Images (if used) should complement the subject matter, be of high resolution and free to use. If you don’t own an image, check the exclusive rights to its use and distribution.
- References should be used sparingly. Cite key concepts and not details.
To enter, please register your details via this link.
The Summer Showcase includes the opportunity to talk to a variety of people and professional services that can support you during your research and beyond.
Exhibitors may include:
Details coming soon...
Book now to attend this highly popular, half-day, FREE event at Loughborough University.
If you are a Loughborough University London student who is interested in attending, please contact the Doctoral College for details of travel arrangements.