Career support for research staff
Research staff can access careers support through Loughborough University's Careers Network.
Whether your desired career is here at Loughborough University or elsewhere, in your current field or something different, we are committed to giving you impartial and independent career development and employability support, advice and guidance to Research Staff. Our dedicated Careers Consultant for Researchers, Eve Uhlig can help you to:
- Research your career options, plan and prepare for a tranisition.
- Locate the most relevant, up-to-date careers information.
- Access a wide range of career planning tools.
- Explore options for your next step.
- Receive end of contract careers advice.
We offer a range of services listed below.
Career Appointments: 30 Minutes (specifically reserved for Research Staff)
Description: 30 minutes with Eve Uhlig to discuss career options – what next after the end of your contract, your next career move or transition - CV/application review or interview coaching to help hone your interview skills.
Availability: Mondays and Tuesdays
Booking method: Book in person or telephone 01509 222039. You will be asked about the purpose of your appointment when you book.
Resources Tailored to Researchers’ Requirements
- Research Staff Career Development Planner is a guide that supports all stages of your career journey. It is also available in hard copy from the Careers Network, Bridgeman Building.
- Career Progression Framework for Research Staff contains some useful downloadable tools to help you think about your career – where are now and where you might like to be.
Workshops and Events
Careers Network runs a series of Workshops for Researchers - a range of workshops designed specifically for researchers. Topics include Career Management, Effective Job Applications, Successful Interviews, Networking for Careers and more.
See the Career Workshops for Researchers on the Postgraduate Researchers page of our website.
Researcher Career Contacts - How can this help me?
We maintain a database of doctoral graduates and past research staff who have agreed to help Loughborough students, graduates and research staff with their career planning. Through this scheme you can contact Loughborough doctoral graduates and past research staff who can help you with your career planning.
Have a look at the Researcher Career Contacts page for more information.
Research Staff Mentoring Scheme
This scheme, specifically for Research Staff, matches researchers to a more experienced academic. The mentor provides non-judgemental support to develop the mentee’s career, personally and professionally, at any career point. More information here.