Welcome to the website of the Centre for Academic Practice. In this site you will find information about the work we do in supporting the University’s strategy and about our aims and aspirations.
The Centre supports the development of academic staff; research staff; colleagues with a teaching-related remit and postgraduate research students to achieve and sustain an excellent quality learning experience for all our students.
Centre for Academic Practice Mission Statement
The mission of the Centre for Academic Practice is to support the University’s strategic aim to achieve and sustain an excellent quality learning experience for all our students.
The Centre leads, innovates and facilitates change, using an evidence-led approach, which recognises the importance of effective partnerships with academic and professional services staff across the institution. We support the
development of academic staff; research staff; colleagues with a teaching-related remit and postgraduate research students. Through our work we aspire to significantly enhance the national and international profile of the Centre.
We will work towards achieving our mission through the four central themes of the University Strategy – Investing in our staff, Educating for success, Growing capacity and influence, and Raising standards and aspirations.
Investing in our staff: we will
- Design and deliver nationally accredited programmes of professional development in academic practice and a nationally accredited CPD framework.
- Develop bespoke provision to meet School/ Department needs.
- Work with the Research Office to ensure provision of high quality CPD opportunities for research staff.
- Support initiatives in support of research informed teaching.
- Identify and share effective practice.
- Work with colleagues across campus to develop a university-wide pedagogic interest group.
- Support the development and assess the quality of teaching practice through requirements of promotion to Senior Lecturer, Reader and Professor.
- Manage the University’s Teaching Awards.
Educating for success: we will
- Identify, develop and deploy learning resources that enhance the student learning experience.
- Promote and support developments linked to curriculum design and delivery at programme and module level.
- Advise on effective practice in the use of technology enhanced learning, including Learn (Loughborough University’s virtual learning environment).
- Advise on, and evaluate, innovative approaches to learning and teaching.
- Undertake projects which enhance the learning experience of our students.
- Work with the Graduate School to develop and deliver a broad and flexible range of professional learning opportunities that actively engages postgraduate research students.
Growing capacity and influence: we will
- Build connections with comparable specialist centres in universities nationally and internationally.
- Present our work at national and international workshops and host such events.
Raising standards and aspirations: we will
- Conduct, synthesise and disseminate research on teaching and learning in higher education to inform University policy on, and understanding of, teaching scholarship.
- We will contribute to relevant fora (e.g. L&T committee and its sub-committees) to review teaching strategies.
Updated June 2014
The members of the Centre are multidisciplinary professionals with a wide range of experience and knowledge of all aspects of teaching and learning. Their skills covers not only the technological aspects of delivering high quality engaging teaching, but also the pedagogy that reinforces it, enabling them to work in partnership with people at any level of the organisation to ultimately ensure the delivery of an enhanced student experience.