Pre-sessional Course C
The main emphasis for Pre-sessional Course C is on academic English.
Whilst students are expected to read and conduct research on their subject area for the Extended Essay, the pre-sessional course covers English for academic purposes that can be applied to any discipline.
Course books and materials are provided. Students also have 24 hour access to online English for academic purposes materials consolidating tasks done in class.
During the course students attend lectures given by Loughborough University’s academic staff and visitors. Students are also given training on how to use the library effectively for their studies.
By the end of the course, successful students should be better able to:
- deliver effective oral presentations;
- function within a variety of speaking situations in an academic context, including seminar discussions and tutorials;
- identify key points in a lecture and take effective notes;
- plan, structure, write and review extended pieces of writing;
- demonstrate an understanding of academic writing conventions, to include in-text citation, referencing, direct quotation and bibliographies;
- summarise and paraphrase effectively from written and spoken sources;
- write reflectively on their academic development and independent learning;
- use a range of reading strategies for different purposes;
- critically read, analyse and evaluate academic texts;
- locate, research and take effective notes from written sources;
- work independently and collaboratively.
Teaching and Learning
In a typical week, students will receive approximately 19.5 hours of tuition and are expected to prepare for tests and complete assignments and independent learning tasks for a further 20 hours per week.
Tutors give one-to-one tutorials during the course to report on and discuss progress made and to give advice on areas needing further improvement.