Halls of residence
Named after Dr Harry French, an engineer/physicist, Senior Pro-Chancellor and Chairman of Council 1981-1986.
Situated on a split site, on either side of Ashby Road, just 200 metres from campus. Harry French is a relaxed and friendly close-knit community, set in gardens and ideally situated for students who want to be near both town and campus. This hall is owned and managed by our partners, Unite Students.
- Bedrooms: 389
- Catering: Self-catered
- Student types: Undergraduate, Postgraduate, Art and Design Foundation
- Location: East
At Harry French you will find:
- Courtyard - 6 Standard bedrooms sharing kitchen facilities and 2 toilets and showers
- Lodges - 8 Standard bedrooms sharing kitchen facilities and 2 toilets and showers
- West Grove - 6-7 Standard bedrooms sharing kitchen facilities and 2 toilets and showers
- Courtyard and West Grove have 4ft beds (double bedding recommended)
- West Grove - 4 self contained studio flats with single bed
- East Grove - traditional rooms in 1-2 bed flats with kitchen and bathroom
- Postgraduates are located in Iffley, Tynte and Redholme (converted Victorian houses) or East Grove (38 rooms) - traditional rooms in 1-2 bedroom flats with kitchen and bathroom (double rooms have double beds)
- Couples permitted in Postgraduate double bedroom self contained flats for additional fee
- Pillows not supplied
- Standard/shared flats - weekly cleaning (not bedrooms)/no cleaning in studios or self contained flats
- Weekly cleaning in stairwells, corridors, common rooms
- Quiet rooms available
- Large common/games room - freeview, TV, table tennis/football, darts and more (facilities subject to change)
- The University network and internet access are available by both wired and wireless networks
- Bike sheds (bicycles stored at this hall are not covered under the University or Unite block insurance policy)
- Limited parking available with University permit or through Unite Students
- Situated close to the University on Ashby Road
Accommodation packages available for 2017/18:
- Standard (wash hand basin) bedrooms for 39 weeks @ £3,998.06*
- Standard bedrooms with 4ft bed for 39 weeks @ £4,078.56*
- +Small bedroom in 2 bedroom flat for 39 weeks @ £3,351.69*
- +Single bedroom in 2 bedroom flat for 39 weeks @ £4,709.47*
- +Double bedroom in 2 or 3 bedroom flat for 39 weeks @ £5,404.42*
- +Double bedroom in 2 bedroom flat with an adapted bathroom- suitable for a full-time carer.
- +Studio Flat for 39 weeks @ £5,731.97*
- +Double bedroom self-contained flat for 39 weeks @ £6,325.07*
*plus pro rata fee for fresher week from Wednesday 27 September 2017
- +Small bedroom in 2 bedroom flat for 50 weeks @ £4,297.05*
- +Single bedroom in 2 bedroom flat for 50 weeks @ £6,037.79*
- +Double bedroom in 2 bedroom flat for 50 weeks @ £6,928.74*
- +Studio Flat for 50 weeks @ £7,348.68*
- +Double bedroom self-contained flat for 50 weeks @ £8,109.06*
*plus pro rata fee for fresher week from Thursday 28 September 2017
+ Limited rooms of this type
For information regarding subscription charges for freshers, returners and affiliates please see the Loughborough Students Union Harry French Hall page.
- New Undergraduates: Wednesday 27 September 2017
- New Postgraduates: Thursday 28 September 2017
- Returning students: Sunday 01 October 2017
- Semester 2 students: Sunday 4 February 2018
- 39 weeks let: 27 September 2017 - 30 June 2018
- 50 weeks let: 28 September 2017 – 15 September 2018 (plus Fresher week)
Rooms available throughout the Christmas and Easter Vacations
Rooms to be vacated by 10am on the end date of the contract:
- Friday 02 February 2017 (semester 1 students)
- Saturday 30 June 2018 (semester 2 and full year undergraduate students)
- Saturday 15 September 2018 (postgraduate students)
Your Hall Manager is responsible for dealing with any problems that you may have within your hall.
This service provider is affiliated to The Accreditation Network UK (ANUK)
Hall Warden: Dr Binoy Sobnack
Phone: +44 (0)1509 222434
Mr Michael Harry
Mr Spartak Ljasenko
Mr Ime Usen
Duty mobile: 07725857402
The Student Hall Committee are on hand to offer support to the hall community. The committees are elected annually and are run by students for students.
For more information visit the hall website. Please note this is not a Loughborough University website, but is produced and managed by the students on the committee. We accept no liability for the content on the hall website.
All halls have their own Facebook page and all new students moving into this hall will be invited to join.