LUPIN and the Institutional Repository
LUPIN and the Institutional Repository help you to manage your research outputs.
For papers, conference contributions, book chapters and all other research output other than electronic theses, please use the Loughborough University Publication Information database LUPIN. Login is with your standard University username and password. LUPIN enables you to attach and upload the accepted for publication version of the full-text of your output and sends it to the Institutional Repository for checking and processing. Repository staff will email you when your submission has been added. If you require assistance with LUPIN please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please remember to upload the accepted for publication version of your file, rather than the publisher PDF. We will check the publisher copyright policies and manage publisher embargoes.Text files should be in Word or PDF format. Only one file should be uploaded (any appendices, figures etc. should be included in the main document). If you need to submit a further file (for example if you have a video art work which is accompanied by a text document, please contact email@example.com).
In LUPIN, you will be required to agree to the terms and conditions of the Institutional Repository licence for each submission to give us permission to make your work available online (this is in the form of a box to tick in LUPIN). Depending on your licence agreement with the publisher, your file will be made available under the appropriate Creative Commons licence. Repository staff check publisher embargo periods and will apply any necessary embargo to your submission.
Please make sure that you have the agreement of co-authors before submitting papers to the repository, especially if copyright of the work has been retained by the authors.
Also, if you are submitting audio-visual work please remember to seek permission from participants/performers beforehand. A suggested consent form is available here.
Instructions for uploading papers to the Institutional Repository via LUPIN are available via the Help section in LUPIN.
A Loughborough University Electronic Thesis (E-thesis) should be submitted via the e-thesis submission form. Login is with your standard username and password. Please supply one file containing your complete thesis and a second file with the Certificate of originality, thesis access conditions and deposit agreement (4.1c from the Academic Registry Template Shop). IMPORTANT: We are unable to process your e-thesis if the Certificate has not been signed by both your supervisor and yourself. Signatures must be original not copied and pasted.
The regulations are that Students are required to deposit a copy of the final version of their Ph.D. thesis, as approved by their Examiners, in electronic format in the University’s Institutional Repository. Each thesis will be made freely available on the web via the University’s Institutional Repository unless the thesis is Restricted or Confidential. The research degree will not be awarded until the electronic version has been deposited with the University.
Further information and details of the submission process are available from the Academic Registry Template Shop (Section 4 Research Student Administration).
Please read the procedures and notes about third party copyright material in theses.
An Institutional Repository (IR) is an online collection of an institution's research output. Loughborough's IR contains over 21,000 full-text items and includes journal papers, book chapters, conference papers, theses and audiovisual material. The aims and objectives of the IR are:
- To increase the accessibility and visibility of Loughborough’s research output and to increase citation rates
- To support individual members of the University in providing open online access to their research output
- To ensure the storage and preservation of Loughborough’s research output at institutional level
- To attract greater funding to Loughborough’s Schools and Departments
- To showcase the research output of Loughborough’s academics, and raise their national and international profile
Loughborough's IR can be accessed here: https://dspace.lboro.ac.uk/dspace-jspui/
LUPIN is the Loughborough University Research Information System which enables staff and students to store and manage the metadata for all research outputs and to link these with other systems, including the outward facing Institutional Repository and academic web pages. LUPIN will link to grants and equipment and already assists in preparations for the Research Excellence Framework (REF). It is increasingly interconnected with other institutional systems and external data sources.
LUPIN has been developed alongside and integrated with the existing Institutional Repository (IR) which holds full-text items for over 21,000 outputs. The IR is an externally searchable output system. It primarily holds journal articles but also includes a wide range of research output types.
LUPIN integrates with the Institutional Repository to provide a single entry point for the University’s metadata and full-text research outputs. It provides:
- academic staff with a way to view and manage their own research outputs easily
- easy entry of skeleton or full output metadata
- the option to harvest detailed metadata of certain outputs and post publication from other systems such as Web of Science and Scopus
- one single, user-friendly point of entry to the Publications Information and Institutional Repository for both metadata and full-text
- internal and, through the IR and web pages, external visibility of research outputs which are regularly updated
- an internal searchable database of cross-campus expertise, based on key words within outputs, encouraging interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary relationships and enabling subject specialists to be easily identified