Dr Oonagh Markey BSc, PhD, RNutr
Vice-Chancellor's Research Fellow
Oonagh graduated with a BSc (Hons) in Sport and Exercise Sciences from the University of Limerick, Ireland in 2007. She was awarded her PhD in Nutrition and Gastrointestinal Physiology from the same university in 2012. Shortly after completion of her PhD, Oonagh was appointed as a Post-doctoral Research Fellow at the University of Reading’s Hugh Sinclair Unit of Human Nutrition (2012-2016).
Oonagh joined the School of Sport, Exercise and Health Sciences as a Vice Chancellor’s Research Fellow in October 2016.
Oonagh’s recent research has focused primarily on the impact of dietary components on biomarkers of cardiovascular disease risk including endothelial function, arterial stiffness and postprandial lipid metabolism. Her research recognises consumer acceptance as an integral part of the ability of new products to drive healthier and sustainable eating behaviours. She is also interested in energy balance dynamics and cardiometabolic health.
Learned Societies and Professional Affiliations
- 2015 – Present International Society for the Study of Fatty Acids and Lipids
- 2014 – Present NCD Risk Factor Collaboration
- 2014 – Present European Nutrition Leadership Platform Alumni Member
- 2014 – Present American Society for Nutrition
- 2014 – Present Association for Nutrition: Registered Nutritionist (Nutrition Science)
- 2007 – Present The Nutrition Society
- British Journal of Nutrition
- Nutrition Reviews
- Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry
- Advances in Medical Sciences
- Markey O, Le Jeune J and Lovegrove JA (2016) Energy compensation following consumption of sugar-reduced products: a randomized controlled trial. European Journal of Nutrition. 55: 2137-2149.
- NCD Risk Factor Collaboration (2016) Trends in adult body-mass index in 200 countries from 1975 to 2014: a pooled analysis of 1698 population-based measurement studies with 19·2 million participants. Lancet. 387: 1377–96 [Collaborating group member].
- Markey O, Lovegrove JA, and Methven L (2015) Sensory profiles and consumer acceptability of a range of sugar-reduced products on the UK market. Food Research International. 72: 133-139.
- Markey O, Vasilopoulou D, Givens DI, and Lovegrove JA (2014) Dairy and cardiovascular health: friend or foe? Nutrition Bulletin. 39: 161-171 [Invited review].
- Murtagh EM, Mulvihill M, and Markey O (2013) Bizzy Break! The effect of a classroom-based activity break on in-school physical activity levels of primary school children. Pediatric Exercise Science. 25, 300-307.
- Clegg ME, Pratt M, Markey O, Shafat A, and Henry JK (2012) Addition of different fats to a carbohydrate food: Impact on gastric emptying, glycaemic and satiety responses and comparison with in vitro digestion. Food Research International. 48: 91–97.
- Markey O, McClean CM, Medlow P, Davison GW, Trinick TR, Duly E, and Shafat A (2011) Effect of cinnamon on gastric emptying, arterial stiffness, postprandial lipaemia, glycaemia and appetite responses to high-fat breakfast. Cardiovascular Diabetology. 10: 78.