Dr Carolyn Plateau
Lecturer in Psychology
Dr Carolyn Plateau is a Lecturer in Psychology within the School of Sport, Exercise and Health Sciences. She graduated from the University of Oxford with an MA in Experimental Psychology in 2009. She moved to Loughborough to complete an MRes in Psychology (2010) and has recently completed her PhD (2014).
Carolyn teaches on the BSc Psychology undergraduate degree programme in the areas of research design and statistics, clinical psychology and eating behaviour. She also supervises undergraduate and postgraduate research projects. Carolyn is a keen runner, having previously competed at international level over 800m.
Carolyn’s research interests are focused around the relationship between exercise behaviours and eating attitudes, specifically among athletes, clinical and adolescent populations. Current research projects include evaluating the impact of eating disorder educational interventions in sport, exploring the role of exercise in eating disorder recovery, and exploring the prevalence of mental health problems in athlete populations.
Carolyn’s research interests include:
Risk factors for disordered eating
Compulsive exercise and eating behaviour
Coach, athlete and parent interactions in the context of disordered eating
Identification and management of disordered eating in exercise contexts
Development of psycho-educational tools
Athlete mental health
Mass participation events to promote physical activity
Runner up: Best Oral Presentation - Loughborough University Health and Life Sciences Conference 2013. Presentation entitled: ‘Coach responses to athletes with eating problems: Styles and strategies’
Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy; March 2015- present
Member of the Academy for Eating Disorders
Member of the UK Eating Disorders in Sport Working Group
Invited reviewer for various academic journals, including: Appetite, European Eating Disorders Review, International Journal of Eating Disorders, Journal of Sports Sciences, Perceptual and Motor Skills; Personality and Individual Differences; Qualitative Research in Sport, Exercise and Health
University of Ghent Conference (2015): “The intrapersonal and social influences on athletes’ psychological wellbeing, eating disorders, and performance in sport”
Jaguar Academy in Sport (2013): “Energy availability in athletes”
British Athletics Online Coaching Resource (2012): “The Female Athlete”
England Athletics Annual Conference (2011): “The Female Athlete Triad”
- Currie A., Arcelus, J., & Plateau, C.R. (in press). Eating disorders in athletes. Sports Psychiatry Handbook. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Plateau, C.R., McDermott, H.J., Arcelus, J., & Meyer, C. (2014). Identifying and preventing disordered eating among athletes: Perceptions of track and field coaches. Psychology of Sport and Exercise, 15(6), 721-728.
- Plateau, C.R., Shanmugam, V., Duckham, R.L., Goodwin, H., Jowett, S., Brooke-Wavell, K.S…. & Meyer, C. (2014). Use of the Compulsive Exercise Test in athletes: Norms and links with eating psychopathology. Journal of Applied Sport Psychology, 26(3), 287-301.
- Plateau, C.R., Arcelus, J., McDermott, H.J., & Meyer, C. (2014). Responses of track and field coaches to athletes with eating problems. Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports. Doi: 10.111/sms.12286
- Plateau, C.R., Arcelus, J., & Meyer, C. Oral presentation entitled: “Experiences of treatment and recovery among athletes with eating disorders.” Qualitative Research in Sport, Exercise and Health Annual Conference, Loughborough University, 3rd Sept 2014.
- Plateau, C.R., McDermott, H.J., Arcelus, J., & Meyer, C. Poster entitled: “Coach experiences of identifying disordered eating among athletes.” International Conference in Eating Disorders. Montreal, Canada. 4th May 2013.
- Plateau, C.R., McDermott, H.J., Arcelus, J., & Meyer, C. Oral presentation entitled: “Identifying and preventing disordered eat-ing among athletes: What can we learn from coaches?” British Feeding & Drinking Group Conference, Loughborough. 4th April 2013.
- Plateau, C.R., Shanmugam, V., Duckham, R.L., Goodwin, H., Jowett, S., Brooke-Wavell, K.S… & Meyer, C. Poster entitled: “Validating the Compulsive Exercise test in an athlete population.” Health & Life Sciences Conference, Loughborough. 28th May 2012.
- Plateau, C.R., Arcelus, J., & Meyer, C. Poster entitled: “Eating disorders in athletes: Exploring the behaviours and beliefs of athletic coaches.” Loughborough University Research Conference, Loughborough. 6th March 2012.