Matt Padley BSocSc (Hons), MA (Econ), MPhil
Research Fellow - CRSP
I studied sociology at Manchester University and after graduating I undertook an MPhil at Nottingham University on creative labour and nostalgia in Manchester club culture(s). Between 2003 and 2009 I was a research associate at the Institute of Youth Sport (Loughborough University) and here developed an interest in social policy, and specifically how policy is delivered within, impacts upon and is shaped at the local level. I joined CRSP in 2009 to in order to pursue my interests in social policy. Since joining CRSP I have undertaken research across a range of policy areas including accessibility, financial inclusion, debt and Minimum Income Standards (MIS), and I currently have responsibility for the management and analysis of MIS data. My current interests focus on understanding the patterns, causes and consequences of social disadvantage, particularly with regard to income, and understanding the interplay between policy, community involvement, collaboration/cooperation and co-production.
Outside of my work at CRSP I am a lecturer for the Open University, teaching the introductory social science module, and I am involved in a number of local and city-wide community projects within Nottingham.
I am involved in research across the Minimum Income Standards programme and lead the annual analysis of Households below a Minimum Income Standard. Over the past year I have lead research developing a Minimum Income Standard for London (funded by Trust for London) and worked with Birmingham City Council to undertake an analysis of the living wage in the city and the impact of some key elements of welfare reform.
I can also be contacted on Twitter - @crspMatt
For the latest information about CRSP Research please go to http://www.lboro.ac.uk/research/crsp/research/
- Padley, M., Marshall, L., Hirsch, D., Davis, A. and Valadez, L. (2015) A Minimum Income Standard for London. London: Trust for London
- Hill, K., Hirsch, D. and Padley, M. (2015) Minimum budgets for single people sharing accommodation. CRSP Working Paper 642. Loughborough: Centre for Research in Social Policy.
- Eckley, B. and Padley, M. (2015) Tell me your story: starting conversations about poverty in England. London: Church Urban Fund.
- Hill, K., Davis, A., Hirsch, D., Padley, M. and Smith, N. (2015) Disability and minimum living standards: The additional costs of living for people who are sight impaired and people who are Deaf. Loughborough: Centre for Research in Social Policy.
- Padley, M., Valadez, L. and Hirsch, D. (2015) Households below a minimum income standard: 2008/09 to 2012/13. York: Joseph Rowntree Foundation.
- Hirsch, D., Padley, M. and Valadez, L. (2014) Making ends meet in Leicester. Leicester: Leicester City Council.
- Davis, A., Hirsch, D and Padley, M. (2014) A Minimum Income Standard for the UK in 2014 York: Joseph Rowntree Foundation.