Dr Vitor Castro PhD (U.Warwick), MSc (U.Minho), UG (U.Minho)
Senior Lecturer in Economics
Vitor Castro joined the School of Business and Economics at Loughborough University (UK) in December 2016.
Previously, he held posts as Lecturer (May 2009 – November 2016) and Teaching Assistant (October 2001 – April 2009) at the Faculty of Economics, University of Coimbra (Portugal). He was also a Research Assistant at the University of Minho (Portugal) from September 1999 to September 2001.
He holds a PhD in Economics from the University of Warwick (UK), a MSc in Economic Policy and an Undergraduate Degree in Economics both from the University of Minho (Portugal).
His areas of interest are Economic Growth, Business Cycles, Fiscal and Monetary Policy, Financial Economics, Political Business Cycles, and Applied Econometrics (Duration Analysis, Panel Data, Discrete Choice, and Nonlinear models). He has published several papers in these areas in peer reviewed international journals.
He is also co-author of a book on “Introduction to Econometrics” (in Portuguese language) which resulted from his previous experience in teaching Econometrics, Applied Econometrics and Intermediate Econometrics.
Economic Growth, Business Cycles, Monetary and Financial Economics, Fiscal Policy, Political Business Cycles, Aplied Econometrics (Duration Analysis, Panel Data, Discrete Choice, Nonlinear models)
- Castro, Vitor (2017). Pure, white and deadly… expensive: A bitter sweetness in health care expenditure. Health Economics, forthcoming.
- Agnello, Luca, Castro, Vitor, Hammoudehz, Shawkat and Sousa, Ricardo (2017). Spillovers from the Oil Sector to the Housing Market Cycle. Energy Economics, forthcoming.
- Agnello, Luca, Castro, Vitor and Sousa, Ricardo M. (2015). Booms, busts and normal times in the housing market. Journal of Business and Economic Statistics, 33(1), 25-45.
- Agnello, Luca, Castro, Vitor and Sousa, Ricardo M. (2013). What determines the duration of a fiscal consolidation program? Journal of International Money and Finance, 37, 113-134.
- Castro, Vitor (2013). The duration of business cycle expansions and contractions: Are there change-points in duration dependence? Empirical Economics, 44(2), 511-544.