Professor Louise Cooke
Professor of Information and Knowledge Management
Louise joined Loughborough University in 2006 as Lecturer in Information and Knowledge Management, having previously worked as Lecturer in the Department of Information Science at City University, London. She was promoted to Senior Lecturer in 2010, to Reader in 2016 and to Professor in 2017. She has extensive practitioner experience in the fields of academic librarianship and educational development. She gained a BA (Hons) in Library Studies with European Studies as subsidiary subject at Loughborough University in 1976, an MA in Library & Information Studies at the University of Central England (now Birmingham City University in 1997, and a PhD in Information Science at Loughborough University in 2004. Her PhD thesis investigated the impact on freedom of expression of measures taken to regulate internet access and content. She is a Chartered Member of CILIP and a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
She has a successful track record of gaining research funding from a range of public and private sector organisations, including the UK Research Councils, the JISC and Leicestershire Police. She was Principal Investigator on the £202,000 Arts & Humanities Research Council funded MAIPLE project, which investigated measures taken by public libraries in the UK to manage public access to the Internet. Louise has a successful track record in PhD supervision, and welcomes applications from prospective students with similar academic interests.
Louise’s current administrative role is Head of Discipline for the Information Management Group. She is an experienced teacher and currently leads UG and PG modules in Information and Knowledge Management and Social Network Analysis. She was awarded the title of Best All-round Lecturer by students in the Department of Information Science in 2012 and of Most Approachable Lecturer in 2013 and was joint-winner (with Tom Jackson and Leicestershire Police) of the Loughborough University Enterprise Awards 2012, Knowledge Transfer Category.
Louise was awarded Highly Commended for 'Outstanding Delivery' at the Loughborough University Postgraduate Awards
Louise’s research interests focus on information and knowledge management (particularly in the public sector); information law, policy and ethics (and in particular, issues surrounding freedom of expression, privacy and freedom of access to information); and the dynamics of online communication and interaction in online forums. From a methodological point of view her work has generally adopted a qualitative approach, although she has also gained expertise in the use of Social Network Analysis (using Ucinet software) to explore communication and relationship patterns. She is a member of the Centre for Information Management and the Centre for Research in Communication and Culture at Loughborough University.
Research projects with which she is currently involved include:
- Opening strategy: the use of ICT in knowledge creation and sharing (with PhD student Josh Morton and Dr Alex Wilson)
- The Influence of Personal Connections on Human Resource Management, Knowledge Sharing and Innovation in Kuwait: the Mediating Role of Affective Commitment (with PhD student Abrar Alenzi and Dr Andrew Rothwell)
- The Applicability of TAM3 in an Educational Context in Saudi Arabia (with PhD student Abdullah Altawayan and Dr Jon Seaton)
- Effect of institutional factors on trust and knowledge sharing in the context of supply chain collaboration (with PhD student Rui Zhao and Dr Alok Chaudhury)
- Exploring repeat victimisation of motor vehicle offences (with PhD student Anthony Quinn and Dr Louise Grove)
- Visualisation of file structures at 3M using semantic technologies (with PhD student Gavin White and Dr Nicola Bateman)
- Privacy policies and e-commerce (with PhD student David Johnson and Prof Adrienne Muir [Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen]).
Past research projects and successful PhD supervision at Loughborough University includes:
- AHRC funded MAIPLE project investigating issues surrounding the management of public internet access in UK public libraries. @MAIPLEproject
- Inter-agency information sharing partnerships as a tool to combat anti-social behaviour (with PhD student Dr Ashley Cairns and Prof Tom Jackson).
- The facilitators and inhibitors of user engagement with and adoption of the Police National Database (in collaboration with the National Policing Improvement Agency) (with PhD student Dr. Tessa Lambri and Prof Tom Jackson)
- Staff access to ICT in UK Further and Higher Education (funded by JISC and with Helen Greenwood).
- Knowledge ‘evangelisation’ practices in multinational corporations (with PhD student Dr John Israilidis and Dr Russell Lock).
- The use of social media and the Internet by Christian churches in the UK (2013, with PhD student Dr Sara Batts and Prof Anne Goulding)
- Citizens’ access to Public Sector Information (2011, with PhD student Dr Barbara Buckley Owen and Prof Graham Matthews)
- Mobilising information and knowledge management in Leicestershire Police (2010, with PhD student Dr Rachael Lindsay and Prof Tom Jackson)
- Knowledge sharing in virtual organisations (with PhD student Hao-fan Chumg and Dr Jon Seaton)
- The facilitation of knowledge exchanges in international development (with PhD student Philipp Grunewald and Prof Mark Hepworth)
- Improving information and knowledge sharing in the Amateur Swimming Association (with PhD student Ejovwoke Junior Onojeharho and Prof Tom Jackson)
Expert Advisory roles
- Standing member of the IFLA Freedom of Access to Information and Freedom of Expression committee (FAIFE). FAIFE supports and co-operates with relevant international bodies, organisations or campaigns such as UNESCO, PEN International, Article XIX, Index on Censorship, IFEX and Amnesty International in their work to promote equal and open access to information for all citizens of the world.
- Peer review panel member for Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC).
Conference Committee membership
- Invited ‘meta-reviewer’ for the 2015 Annual meeting of Association for Information Science and Technology (ASIST), taking place in St Louis, MO, USA
- Programme Committee member ASIS+T European Workshop 2013 Information Science and Technology Conference Turku/Åbo, Finland June 5,6 2013
- Programme Committee member International Conference on Information and Social Science 2013, Nagoya, Japan, September 26th-27th, 2013.
- Programme committee member for the IADIS Multi conference on Computer Science and Information Systems 2010 (Freiburg, Germany), 2011 (Rome, Italy) and 2012 (Lisbon, Portugal).
- Reviewer and session chair for Higher Education Academy Information & Computer Sciences Subject Centre (HEA-ICS) Annual Conference, Dublin, August 2006 and Liverpool 2008.
- Invited reviewer for the Technologies and Applications of Knowledge Computing on the Web workshop of the 2006 IEEE/WIC/ACM International Conference on Web Intelligence held in Hong Kong, December 2006
Editorial Board membership and review invitations
- Editorial Board member for Knowledge and Performance Management
- Editorial Advisory Board member for Journal of Knowledge and Communication Management (JKCM)
- Editorial Board member of Library and Information Research
- Editorial Board member of Library Review
- Editorial Board member of Alexandria
- Invited reviewer for Journal of Documentation
- Invited reviewer for International Journal of Project Management
- Invited reviewer for Alt-J Research in Learning Technology
- Invited reviewer for Journal of Information Science.
- Invited reviewer for Journal of Librarianship & Information Science.
- Invited reviewer for Policing and Society.
- Invited reviewer for Journal of Knowledge Management
- Invited reviewer for Economic & Social Research Council (ESRC) and Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC)
- Invited speaker at the LIS Research Coalition DREAM event 2, Edinburgh, October 2011.
- Invited speaker at the University of Northampton Information Services Research Summer School, June 2011.
- Invited panel chair at the IBM Start initiative summit, London, September 2010.
- Invited speaker, The Information Research Institute, Manchester Metropolitan University, January 2009.
- Invited speaker at the HEA Information & Computer Sciences/Engineering Subject Centre workshop on Writing for Publication, December 2007.
External Examining positions
- External examiner, Division of Computing, Mathematical & Information Sciences, Brighton University (2009 – 2015)
- External examiner, Department of Languages, Information and Communication, Manchester Metropolitan University (2016 - )
- External PhD examiner for David Brown, University College London, 2015
- External PhD examiner for Caroline Papi de Brun, Coventry University, 2015
- External PhD examiner for David Haynes, City University, 2015
- External PhD examiner for Andrew Robson, City University, 2013.
- External PhD examiner for Brigid Casselden, Northumbria University, 2017
- External PhD examiner for Saowapha Limwichitr, Aberystwyth University, 2016
- External PhD examiner for Janice Conway, Lancaster University, 2016
- External PhD Examiner for John Mowbray, Edinburgh Napier University 2018' and External Examiner for Mohammad O A Gharssalla, Liverpool University 2018
Professional affiliations and memberships
- Chartered Member of CILIP (MCLIP)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
- Quinn, A., Grove, L.E., & Cooke, L. (2018) An exploration of the progress of open crime data: how do ongoing limitations with the police.uk website restrict a comprehensive understanding of recorded crime? Policing and Society. November 2017 (published online first, https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10439463.2017.1397149).
- Kim, Y.S., & Cooke, L. (2017) Big data analysis of public library operations and services using the Chernoff faces.method. Journal of Documentation. Vol. 73 Issue: 3, pp.466-480, https://doi.org/10.1108/JD-08-2016-0098.
- Chumg, H.-F., Cooke, L., Fry, J. and Hung, I.-H. (2015) Factors affecting knowledge sharing in the virtual organisation: Employees' sense of well-being as a mediating effect. Computers in Human Behaviour, 44, 70-80.
- Spacey, R., Cooke, L., Muir, A., and Creaser, C. (2015) Regulating Internet access and content in UK public libraries: Findings from the MAIPLE project. Journal of Librarianship and Information Science, 47(1), 71–84.
- Israilidis, J., Cooke, L., and Lock, R. (2014) Analysing the viability of business networks in multinational organisations: a case study of the Aerospace and Defence industry. Journal of Information & Knowledge Management, 13(3).