About the School
Since receiving its Royal Charter in 1966, Loughborough University has held an established reputation for excellence in teaching and research, strong links with industry and unrivalled sporting achievement.
The School of Business and Economics is increasingly recognised as one of the brightest and best business schools in the UK. It seeks to provide high quality management education and research that is tailored to the demands of today’s business environment.
Please use the tabs below to find out more about us.
- School rankings and reputation
- Loughborough University
Top-Ten in UK for Business, Economics, Marketing and Management, Information Management, Accounting and Finance
- The Times and Sunday Times University League 2017
- 1st for Librarianship and Information Management
- 4th for Finance and Accounting
- 6th for Business Studies
- 8th for Economics
- The Complete University Guide 2016
- 1st for Librarianship and Information Management; in this category 2nd for graduate prospects and 3rd for student satisfaction
- 5th for Business and Management Studies; in this category 3rd for graduate prospects and 1st for student satisfaction
- 10th for Accounting and Finance; in this category 4th for graduate prospects
- The Guardian University League Tables 2016
- 5th for Business, Management and Marketing; in this category 4th for graduate prospects with 90% in graduate level jobs within 6 months
- 8th for Accounting and Finance; in this category 3rd for graduate prospects with 86% in graduate level jobs within 6 month
- In the 2015 National Student Survey (NSS) - scores based on the mean scores for 'overall satisfaction' with their experience of university.
- 3rd for Information Services
- 5th for Management Studies
- 8th for Finance
- 9th for Accounting
- 12th for Economics
- The School of Business and Economics is one of less than 1% of business schools in the world to have accreditation from all three international accrediting bodies: EFMD, AMBA and AACSB.
- We are one of just 1% of business schools in the world to be EQUIS accredited by the European Foundation for Management Development (EFMD) and were re-accredited for a further 3 years in 2014.
- The Loughborough MBA is fully accredited by the Association of MBAs (AMBA), and was re-accredited by AMBA in August 2015.
- In 2014 we were awarded AACSB International accreditation by The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB), the longest-serving global accrediting body.
- In 2014 the School of Business and Economics was presented with a Small Business Charter (SBC) Silver Award and became one of the first UK business schools to receive chartered status.
- Our teaching was rated as 'excellent' by the latest HEFCE report. We aim to provide practical, relevant and applied management education tailored to the needs of individuals and corporate clients.
- 75% of our Business and Management research was rated as 'world leading' or 'internationally excellent' by the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF)
- 100% of our Information Management research was rated as 'world leading' or 'internationally excellent' by the REF.
- The 2014 REF placed Loughborough 13th out of more than 100 institutions who submitted Business and Management entries, based on ‘research power’ – a measure of overall ranking multiplied by the number of researchers whose work was submitted.
Excellent links with industry - business relevance and career focus
- UK’s leading Business School for year-long placements - The highest percentage of undergraduate business students on placement of any UK university (Full-time students of Business & Administrative Studies, 2013-14)
- 4th in the UK for employability of Business, Management and Marketing graduates with 90% in a graduate level job within six months (Guardian University League Tables 2016).
- 3rd in the UK for employability of Accounting and Finance graduates with 86% in a graduate level job within six months (Guardian University League Tables 2016).
- The School has a long history of having excellent links with industry, providing management education with a strong career focus for individuals and that is directly relevant to corporate clients.
- The School has a corporate client approach towards executive education and over 15 years’ experience tailoring programmes for prestigious blue-chip companies.
- Our undergraduates enjoy high employability rates and all of our undergraduates can spend a year on placement, typically with one of the 400+ organisations we work with around the globe.
A leading UK university
Loughborough University is one of the country's leading universities. We are highly regarded and proud of our many achievements.
- University of the Year - WhatUni Student Choice Awards 2015
- Top 15 University in all major UK league tables
- 11th in The Complete University Guide 2016
- 11th in The Guardian University League Tables 2016
- 13th in The Times & Sunday Times University Guide 2015
- Rated 5* for excellence - QS Stars
- 16th in The QS Top 50 under 50 2014 (international league table) - one of only 3 UK universities to appear in the league.
- Awarded 7 Queen's Anniversary Prizes for Higher and Further Education (second only to Oxford)
Outstanding student experience
- University of the Year - WhatUni Student Choice Awards 2015
- Best Students' Union - WhatUni Student Choice Awards 2015
- Best for Accommodation - WhatUni Student Choice Awards 2015
- Winner of best student experience for six consecutive years - Times Higher Education
- Ranked 2nd in the Student Experience Survey 2015 - Times Higher Education
- University of the Year for Sport - Times Good University Guide 2014
- Britain's Top University for Quality of Student Life - Lloyds Bank Survey
- One of the biggest independently owned Students’ Unions, with over 150 clubs and societies and one of the largest Rag organisations in the UK.
- Award-winning Careers and Employability Centre; recognised as one of the best in the UK.
Highly employable graduates, well prepared for work and for life
- Loughborough is one of the top 20 universities targeted by large, graduate employers - ranked 14th (The Graduate Market in 2014, High Fliers Research)
- Every student is encouraged to take up the option of a career-enhancing, year-long work or study placement year
World-class teaching and research
An outstanding learning environment enhanced by the integration of research, teaching and enterprise.
- In the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF) every department was found to be undertaking research that is internationally recognised, with 65% of the School's research considered to be ‘world leading’, a significant increase from the 2008 RAE.
- A UK Top 20 university based on research funding from HEFCE (the Higher Education Funding Council for England) and the only one in this shortlist without a medical school.
- The Times Higher Education publication named Loughborough as one of three rising stars among research-intensive universities.
- The University has over 100 research groups, centres and institutes.
Fostering enterprise and innovation
- 70% of Loughborough University's research is carried out in collaboration with external partners; compared to the national average for Universities of 20%.
- Loughborough has strategic partnerships with a range of global, blue-chip companies such as Ford, Rolls-Royce, EON, BAE Systems, adidas, Caterpillar, AstraZeneca and 3M.
- The Studio (launched in 2011), provides a dynamic and supportive environment for graduate entrepreneurs to commercialise their ideas.
- Over 250 Knowledge Transfer partnership projects have been completed with an average of 20 active at any one time.
- We are home to one of the region's largest Science and Enterprise Park (currently 8 hectares) attracting major R&D centres and international companies; and housing the Loughborough Innovation Centre with up to 40 high growth ventures.
Environmentally friendly and responsible citizen
- For our 'It's Better Off to be Sustainable' campaign, the University won the award for Promoting Positive behaviour at the 2011 national Green Gown Awards
- The University won the Sustainability Project award at the Guardian University Awards 2014, for the project, Eat Your Campus, which enables students, lecturers, local families, food projects and regional artists to harvest the abundance of fruit on campus.
- The University includes the world-leading CREST (Centre for Renewable Energy Systems Technology).
- The University is part of the Midlands Energy Consortium, and the Midlands Energy Graduate School (MEGS).
- Home to the Energy Technologies Institute (ETI) and the successful 'clean power systems' spin-out company Intelligent Energy, which in February 2014 was announced as the Midlands’ fastest growing company by Insider Growth 100.