Professor Stephanos Theodossiades PhD MBA Dipl-Ing CEng MIMechE
Professor of Non-Linear Dynamics
- Born in Serres, Greece.
- Dipl-Ing and PhD attained at Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Mechanical Engineering Department.
- Executive MBA attained at Loughborough University, Business School.
- Reader in Dynamics since 2011.
- Previously: Senior Lecturer (2007-2011), Lecturer (2003-2007) and Research Associate/Fellow (2002-2003) in Wolfson School of Mechanical Engineering, Loughborough University.
Research Interests and Activities
Engineering dynamics and vibrations with the following particular applications:
- Modelling of Noise, Vibration and Harshness (NVH) phenomena in Automotive applications, including:
- Multibody dynamics analysis with flexible components
- Numerical/analytical methods on large/small scale applications with local nonlinearities
- Noise and Vibration monitoring of mechanical systems with gears
- Tribo-dynamics of mechanical systems with lubricated conjunctions
- Structural and dynamic analysis of medical devices and virtual prototype development
- Reviews Editor: Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part K: Journal of Multi-body Dynamics
- Associate Editor: International Journal of Powertrains (Inderscience)
- Associate Editor for Dynamics and Control: Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part C: Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science
- Guest Editor:
- Special Issue on Powertrain Dynamics, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part K: Journal of Multi-body Dynamics, 2007, 221 (3).
- Special Issue on Applications of Multi-body Dynamics to Machines, Mechanisms and Vehicles, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part K: Journal of Multi-body Dynamics, 2011, 225 (4).
- Professional affiliations:
- Member of the ASME
- Member of the IMechE/CEng status
- Member of the Technical Chamber of Greece
- Member of the EPSRC Peer Review College
- Member of the ASME Technical Committee on Vibration and Sound (TCVS)
- Member of the NAFEMS Multibody Dynamics Working Group
- International conferences (Co-Chair):
- Engine and Powertrain Engineering Symposium in ASME IDETC 20th Biennial Conference on Vibration and Noise, Long Beach, 2005 and ASME IDETC 21st Biennial Conference on Vibration and Noise, Las Vegas 2007
- ASME Symposium on Dynamics of Mechanical Systems with Contact and Friction, 22nd Biennial Conference on Mechanical Vibration and Noise (VIB), 2009 ASME IDETC, San Diego, USA.
- ASME Symposium on Applied Mechanics, Contact Mechanics and Tribology at Micro- and Nano- Scales, 4th International Conference on Micro- and Nano-systems (MNS), 2010 ASME IDETC, Montreal, Canada
- Dynamics of Machines and Rotating Structures, First Joint International Conference on Multibody System Dynamics (IMSD), 2010, Lappeenranta, Finland (Co-Sponsored by ASME, IFTOMM and IUTAM).
- ASME Symposium on Emerging Frontiers, 9th International Conference on Multibody Systems, Nonlinear Dynamics and Control, 2013 ASME IDETC, Portland, USA.
- Invited Keynote Paper: Proceedings of the ASI on Engineering-Design: Eco-design, Technologies and Green Energy, Brasov, Romania, 2004
- Invited papers in International journals: IMechE Proceedings Part C and Part K, Journal of Sound and Vibration
- Referee for the following International Journals: Journal of Sound and Vibration, Proceedings of the Royal Society A, ASME Journals (Journal of Vibration and Acoustics, Journal of Applied Mechanics and Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement and Control), Proceedings of the IMechE (Part C, Part D, Part G, Part H and Part K), Physica D, Applied Mathematical Modelling, Meccanica, Mechanism and Machine Theory and Applied Acoustics
- Collaborative Research: examples include Automotive Transmission Rattle (EPSRC and Ford University Research Project Award, 2006-9), Refinement of Engine in-cycle losses of Parasitic and Errant Dynamic Nature (Encyclopaedic) – EPSRC Programme Grant (supported by Aston Martin Lagonda, Prodrive, Capricorn Automotive Ltd, BP Lubricants, Ricardo UK Ltd and ES Technology Ltd, 2009-13), Member of the Management Committee - Transport and Urban Development COST Action TU1105 (2012-2016), Modelling gear efficiency (Lubrizol Ltd, 2013-16), Tribology of rubber seals/contacts (AstraZeneca, 2008-10), consultancy for GlaxoSmithKline UK (2011-2012).
- Proceedings of the IMechE, Part K: Journal of Multi-body Dynamics PE Publishing Award for the best paper published in the 2004 Volume.
- British Gear Association & IMechE Transmission Engineering Prize 2006 (awarded to my final year project student Tom Lench).