Professor Shahin Rahimifard BSc MSc PhD CEng FIMechE FHEA
Professor of Sustainable Engineering
I am an Industrial Engineer with over twenty years of experience in R & D projects. I obtained a BSc in Computing and Mathematics from Brighton University, MSc in Computer Integrated Manufacture and PhD in the Operational Planning of Manufacturing Systems from Loughborough University in 1996. Since then in addition to the academic position at Loughborough, I have been involved in a large number of industrial projects, mainly concerned with the design and implementation of supply chain management and production planning, and environmental management systems for a variety of manufacturing companies, ranging from metalworking SMEs to the food and drink industry.
My current research work is focused on sustainability issues within ‘Life Cycle Engineering’, including projects on sustainable product design, low carbon manufacturing, sustainable business and consumption models, product service systems, and product end-of-life management, recovery, reuse and recycling technologies.
- Chartered Engineer (CEng)
- Fellow Member of the Institute of Mechanical Engineers (FIMechE)
- Fellow Member of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
Broad Interests and Expertise
- Sustainable Product Design
- Low Carbon Manufacturing
- Business Models to Support Product Service Systems
- Automation in Remanufacturing/Reuse/Recycling
- Sustainable Consumption Models
Research Interests and Activities
- Knowledge based systems to support sustainable design
- Modelling the product embodied energy for Low Carbon Manufacturing
- Next generation of remanufacturing, reuse and recycling technologies,
- Integration of product supply and recovery chain/network,
- Product personalisation in support of sustainable consumption,
- Waste management in Food sector,
- Computer Aided RECYCLING Process Planning (CARPP)
- Editor-in-Chief of the 'International Journal of Sustainable Engineering', Publisher Taylor and Francis, Since 2007.
- Guest Editor for special issue on 'Sustainable Design and Manufacture' for the 'International Journal of Production Research', Publisher Taylor and Francis, Vol 45 (18-19), 2007.
- Book Reviews Editor for 'International Journal of Computer Integrated Manufacturing', Publishers Taylor and Francis, 2002-2005.
- Conference Chair, the 5th International Conference on 'Design and Manufacture for Sustainable Development' , Loughborough, July 2007.
- Member of IFAC Technical Committee TC 5.3 on Enterprise Integration and Networking, since 2001.
- Collaborative Research : Work packages and tasks leader in Framework 5 and 6 Integrated Projects including EUROSheo (FP5), CICLOP (FP5), and CEC_Made_Sheo (FP6).
- Advisory Roles : Peer Review Panel Member for Applied Research Enhancement Programme, Enterprise Ireland, Research Proposal Reviewer for Responsive Mode Programme, Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council ; Research Proposal Reviewer for Innovative Manufacturing Research Centres (IMRCs), Expert Proposal Reviewer for Eco-Innovation Pilot and Market Replication Projects, European Commission : Executive Agency for Competitiveness and Innovation (EACI).
- Keynote Speaker : Grand Challenges in Sustainability , International Event on Intelligent Manufacturing System, Lake Como - Italy in May 2004 ; Modelling the cost of Product End-of-life Management, A-Cost Engineering seminar, Birmingham – UK in April 2005 ; Environment Impact of Manufacturing, International Event on Intelligent Manufacturing System, Zurich - Switzerland in November 2007 ; A Zero Waste to Landfill Approach in Manufacturing Sector, IMS Manufacturing Technology Platform Workshop, Bren - Switzerland in April 2008 ; Barriers, Drivers and Challenges for Sustainable Product Recovery and Recycling, International Conference on Flexible Automation and Intelligent Manufacturing, Skövde - Sweden, June 2008 ; Sustainable Manufacturing in Europe, The FP7 Coordination Action CleanProd workshop on clean products and production, Brussels – Belgium in October 2008
- Journal Referee for ‘International Journal of Production Research’, ‘International, ‘Journal of Computer Integrated Manufacturing’, and 'IEEE Transactions on Electronics Packaging Manufacturing', ‘International Journal of Enterprise Resource Management’, and ‘International Journal of Sustainable Engineering’.
- Member of International Scientific/Organising Committee for ‘CIRP Manufacturing Systems’, 'Computer Aided Robotics & Factory of the Future', 'Responsive Manufacturing', 'Digital Enterprise Technologies', 'Value Chain Sustainability', 'International Conference on Manufacturing Research'
and 'Design and Manufacture for Sustainable Development'.
- Engineering Design for Sustainable Development (MSc)
- Sustainable Product Design (MEng)
- Manufacturing for the Environment (BEng)
- Manufacturing Systems and Management (BEng)