Dr Elliot Woolley MPhys PhD
Lecturer in Sustainable Manufacturing
- Elliot obtained an MPhys in Applied Physics in 2003 from the Nottingham Trent University and his PhD in the field of atomic physics and nuclear magnetic resonance in 2007 from the University of Nottingham. He has industrial experience working for an international research and technology organisation where he was a key member of a highly successful team of funding specialist, developing R&D projects for a wide range of innovative small and medium sized manufacturing enterprises.
- Elliot joined the Loughborough University in 2010 in a business strategy development role for the Competitive Sustainable Manufacturing research cluster. In April 2012 appointed as a Lecturer in Sustainable Manufacturing within the Wolfson School of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering at Loughborough University. Elliot has been the Programme Director for the MSc in Sustainable Engineering, Admissions Tutor for Manufacturing Engineering and Engineering Management and is currently the Theme Lead for Resource Efficient Manufacturing and Impact Lead for High Value Manufacturing. He is also in the EPSRC Peer Review College.
Outline of main research interests:
- Use of ultraviolet fluorescence of proteins for the detection of fouling within the food industry (Self-Optimising Clean-in-Place)
- Laser annealing of thin films for energy efficient production (photovoltaics)
- Modelling of energy consumption on the plant, process and product level
- Eco-intelligent manufacturing: improved decision making based on environmental considerations
- Improved models for industrial food waste management
- Development of food provision models for the reduction of consumer food waste.
Grants and contracts:
- C Alford, E Woolley 2017-2018 (6 months) Evaluating Manufacturing Causes of Food Waste in ODA Countries, EPSRC GCRF Institutional Sponsorship Awards 2017, Total funding value £20,827
- I Sterritt, E Woolley, N Watson 2017-2019 (24 months) Safe Clean-in-Place, (Innovate UK) Total funding value £454,819
- I Sterritt, E Woolley, N Watson 2016-2017 (12 months) Self-Optimising Clean-in-Place, (Innovate UK) Total funding value £143,573
- E Woolley, G Claudio, J Tyrer 2014-2016 (18 months) High Speed Energy Efficient Manufacturing of Cadmium Telluride Solar Cells, (EPSRC): total funding value £282,948
- T Foster, P Fryer, S Rahimifard, F Spyropoulos, I Norton, E Woolley, D Gray, B Wolf, J Colwill 2014-2019 (60 months) EPSRC Centre for Innovative Manufacturing in Food, Total funding value £4.5M
- E Woolley, S Rahimifard 2013-2016 (36 months) Eco-Intelligent Factories, EPSRC Centre for Innovative Manufacturing in Industrial Sustainability (EPSRC): total funding value £311,488
- E Woolley, Y Seow, S Rahimifard 2011-2012 (3 months) Harnessing Wind Energy from Mechanical Movement in Trees (ElectriciTree), Feasibility Account (EPSRC): total funding value £9,293
Current teaching responsibilities:
- MMP409 Engineering for Sustainable Development
- MMP600 Manufacturing Processes and Automation
Tutor on Modules:
- MMC602 Sustainable Manufacturing
- MMC600 Advanced Manufacturing Process and Technology 1
- MMB504 Application of Product Design
- MMD407 Sustainable Product Design
- Supervision of Final Year undergraduate projects (5 per year)
- Supervision of MSc projects (2 per year)
Current administrative responsibilities:
- Theme Lead for Resource Efficient Manufacturing (University)
- Impact Lead for High Value Manufacturing (Wolfson)
- Goffin, N., Lisco, F., Claudio, G., Tyrer, J., and Woolley, E., 2016. Annealing of Thin-film Cadmium Telluride Photovoltaics Using Holographically Controlled Laser Processing, Energy Procedia 102, 70-79.
- Seow, Y., Goffin, N., Rahimifard, S., and Woolley, E., 2016. A ‘design for energy minimization’ approach to reduce energy consumption during the manufacturing phase, Energy, 109, 894-905.
- Simeone, A., Luo, Y., Woolley, E., Rahimifard, S., and Boër, C., 2016. A Decision Support System for Waste Heat Recovery in Manufacturing, CIRP Annals Manufacturing Technology, 65, (1), 21-24.
- Garcia-Garcia, G., Woolley, E., Rahimifard, S., Colwill, J., White, R., and Needham, L., 2016. A Methodology for Sustainable Management of Food Waste, Waste and Biomass Valorization, DOI 10.1007/s12649-016-9720-0.
- Jellil, A., Woolley, E., and Rahimifard, S., 2018. Towards Integrating Production and Consumption to Reduce Consumer Food Waste in Developed Countries, International Journal of Sustainable Engineering. DOI 10.1080/19397038.2018.1428834
- General Motors (2011 – 2016)
- Molson Coors (2016)
- Quorn Foods (2016)
- Martec of Whitwell (trading as SOCIP) (2015 – 2020)
- University of Nottingham (2015 – 2020)