Professor Bucur Novac FREng MSc PhD MIET SMIEEE
Professor of Pulsed Power
Awarded MSc (1977) and PhD (1989) both from Faculty of Physics, University of Bucharest. After graduation started a scientific research career at the Institute of Atomic Physics (Bucharest). In 1993 promoted to Head of the Plasma Physics Laboratory (IPTRD).
Joined the Department in October 1998 as a full time Research Associate. Later promoted as Research Fellow (2000), Senior Research Fellow (2002), Senior Lecturer (2003) and Reader (2009).
Member of the IET
Senior Member of the IEEE
- Member of the International Steering Committee of the Megagauss Series of Conferences
- UK Conference Attendance Chair for the IEEE International Power Modulator and High Voltage Conference
- Chairman for the IEEE UK&RI Chapter on Industrial Electronics
- Chief examiner for the Engineering Council
Broad Interests and Expertise
- High-energy pulsed power physics and technology
- Compact and repetitive pulsed power systems
- Magnetic flux-compression and applications
- High-current, high-power conditioning systems
- Detonics (explosives, shock waves, etc.)
- Fast high-current and high-voltage sensors
- 2D numerical modelling of pulsed power system
- Compact and repetitive pulsed power applications
- Electromagnetically-driven implosions and magnetic flux-compression
- Unconventional microwave generators
- Ultrahigh magnetic field generation: physics, modelling, diagnostics and applications
- Explosively-driven autonomous compact pulsed power system design
ELC006 Electromagnetics (Responsible examiner)
ELC007 Fast Transient Sensors (Responsible examiner)
ELD306 Electromagnetics (Responsible examiner)
ELD307 Fast Transient Sensors (Responsible examiner)
Pecquois, R, Pecastaing, L, de Ferron, A, Rivaletto, M, Pignolet, P, Novac, BM, Smith, IR, Adler, RJ (2012) Simple and compact capacitive voltage probe for measuring voltage impulses up to 0.5 MV, REVIEW OF SCIENTIFIC INSTRUMENTS, 83(3), ISSN: 0034-6748. DOI: 10.1063/1.3690906
Novac, BM, Omar, K, Graneau, N, Smith, IR, Sinclair, M (2012) Numerical modelling of a flyer plate electromagnetic accelerator, IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, 40(10 PART 1), pp.2300-2311, ISSN: 0093-3813.
Novac, BM, Banakhr, FA, Smith, IR, Pecastaing, L, Ruscassie, R, De Ferron, AS, Pignolet, P (2012) Determination of the Kerr constant of water at 658 nm for pulsed intense electric fields, IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, 40(10 PART 1), pp.2480-2490, ISSN: 0093-3813.