Signal Processing and Networks Research Group
The Signal Processing and Networks Research Group (SPNRG) performs internationally leading research, supported by major funding from EPSRC, DSTL and various industries, in both the theoretical and practical aspects of signal processing, communication protocols, network security and data analytics.
General research areas
- Anomaly and Intrusion Detection
- Antenna Array Processing
- Bio-acoustics and Sonar
- Blind Source Separation
- Cognitive Radio Networks
- Communication Network Measurement
- Computational Auditory Scene Analysis
- Convex Optimizations and Game Theoretic Methods
- Cross-Layer Optimization and Measurement
- Distributed Estimation and Detection
- Equalization and Interference Cancellation
- Image Processing
- Information Fusion
- MIMO Technology
- Network Security, Privacy and Forensics
- Radars: Cognitive, MIMO, Tracking, Passive
- Underwater Acoustics
- Wireless Networks: WiFi, LTE-A, 5G, Multihop, Adhoc and Relays
- Advanced Anomaly and Intrusion Detection Systems
- Big Data Analytics and Security
- Collaborative and Competitive Signal Processing
- Communications Signal Processing
- Multimodal Processing
- Network Performance Monitoring and Information Management
- Underwater Signal Processing
We have an extended networking lab that includes:
- A multi-computer networked testbed for running real time application scenarios,
- Multiple servers for running networking services,
- A Network virtualisation platform (VMWare),
- A multi-node wireless sensor network
- Wireless Network Monitoring Equipment (Fluke)
- Optical 10 Gbps equipment (Switch and server)
- A 18 GHz Digital Scope Oscilloscope (DSO)
- Multiple Cisco routers
- Sangarapillai Lambotharan (Group Leader)
- James Flint
- Gan Zheng
- Paul Lepper
- Simon Pomeroy
- Alex Gong
- Konstantinos Kyriakopoulos
- Mahsa Derakhshani
- David Parish (retired)
- Anastasios Deligiannis
- Ye Liu
- Abdullahi Daniyan
- Ben Clark
- Gaia Rossetti
- Gines Escudero Andreu
- Paul Barker
- Ramadan Elsabae
- Solomon Osei
- Steven David Lloyd
- Suleiman Erateb
The group currently enjoys strong links with the following researchers:
- Prof. Sonia Aissa, INRS-EMT, University of Québec, Canada
- Dr. Animashree Anandkumar, MIT, USA
- Dr. Zoran Cvetkovic, Kings College London, UK
- Dr. Yulia Hicks, Cardiff University, UK
- Dr. Maria Jafari, Queen Mary, University of London, UK
- Prof. Andreas Jakobsson, Lund University, Sweden
- Dr. Malcolm Macleod, QinetiQ, UK
- Prof. Danilo Mandic, Imperial College, UK
- Stephen Robinson, the National Physical Laboratory, UK
- Dr. Saeid Sanai, University of Surrey, UK
- Dr. Nisachon Tangsangiumvisai, Chulalongkorn University, Thailand
- Dr. Clive Took, Imperial College, UK
- Dr. Cenk Toker, Hacettepe University, Turkey
- Dr. Wenwu Wang, University of Surrey, UK
- Dr. Michele Vadursi, University of Naples – Parthenope, Italy
- Prof. Alan Marshall, Liverpool University, UK
- Prof. David Hutchison, Lancaster University, UK
- Prof. Arumugam Nallanathan, Kings College London, UK
- Prof. Kai-Kit Wong, University College London, UK
- Prof. Sumit Roy, University of Washington, USA.
We are actively involved in joint research programmes within the UK and internationally, such as Interact 6 - Building Links with India (Cognitive Wireless Systems for Universal Access).
Curent Industrial Collaborators
- Haik Manukyan, Aeroflex
Recent PhD graduates
- Bokamoso Basutli
- Anastasios Deligiannis
- Abdulrazaq Almutairi
- Yu Wu
- Zeinab Zohny
- Ousama Alnatouh
- Ansar Jamil
- William Johnson
- Massoud Eddaghe
- Usama Mannai
- Adel Rhuma
- Mustafa Manna
- Walid Qaja
- Ata Ur-Rehman
- Yanfeng Liang
- Muhammad Salman Khan
- Lu Ge
- Segun Aina
- Ziming Zhu
- Juncheng Hu
- Georgia Bournaka
- Paul Wheeler
- Jack Harris
- Zhao Tian
- Peter Awe
Prior to 2013
- M.S. Khan - Informed Algorithms for Sound Source Separation in Enclosed Reverberant Environments
- Akhtar Hussain Khalil - An approach to preventing spam using Access Codes with a combination of anti-spam mechanisms
- Alex Fragkiadakis - An active router architecture using programmable hardware
- Anthony Pagonis - Architecture for the management and presentation of communication network performance data
- Bo Li - Detecting TCP-based applications using packet size distributions
- Ghulam Mujtaba - Identification of networked tunnelled applications
- Hao Wu - Detecting spam relays by SMTP traffic characteristics using an autonomous detection system
- J. Mark Sandford - Detecting changes in network performance from low level measurements.
- Jie Wang - Advanced attack tree based intrusion detection
- Jin Fan - Using genetic algorithms to optimize wireless sensor network design
- Jiwa Abdullah - QOS routing for mobile ad hoc networks using genetic algorithm
- Momen Al-Rawi - Detecting network quality of service on a hop by hop basis for on-line multimedia application connections
- Peter Sandford - Inferring malicious network events in commercial ISP networks using traffic summarisation
- Shahrulniza Musa - Visualising network security attacks with multiple 3D visualisation and false alert classification
- Shirantha De Silva - Emergence in active networks.
- Tammam Benmusa - The processing and interpretation of communication network performance data
- Titus Awotula - Quality of service management in IP networks
- Xiaoming Wang - Hierarchical TCP network traffic classification with adaptive optimisation
- Yaqoob Juma Al-Raisi - A voting median base algorithm for approximate performance monitoring of wireless sensor networks
- M. Yu - Computer Vision Based Techniques for Fall Detection with Application Towards Assisted Living
- A. Elazreg - Distributed Space Time Block Coding in Asynchronous Cooperative Relay Networks
- G. Chen - Rate Enhancement and Multi-Relay Selection Schemes for Application in Wireless Cooperative Networks
- F. Alotaibi - Distributed Space-Time Block Coding in Cooperative Relay Networks with Application in Cognitve Radio
- M. Hayes - Distributed Quasi-orthogonal Space-Time Coding in Wireless Co-operative Relay Network
- A. Anandkumar - Robust Game-Theoretic Algorithms for Distributed Resource Allocation in Wireless Communication
- M. Davies - Polynomial Matrix Decomposition Techniques for Frequency Selective MIMO Channels
- R. Krishna - Mathematical Optimisation and Signal Processing Techniques in Wireless Relay Networks
- K. Cumanan - Spatial Diversity and Optimisation Techniques for Cognitive Radio Networks
- K. Maatoug - Blind Adaptive Algorithms for Channel Shortening in Wireline Communication Systems
- S. Cheng - Novel Multiple Antenna Techniques for Improved Diversity in Wireless Communication Systems
- S.K. Kassim - Closed-Loop Space-Time Block Coding and Resource Allocation in Collaborative Wireless Networks
- F. Alharbi - Peak-to-Average Power Mitigation in MIMO OFDM
- S.M. Naqvi - Multimodal Blind Source Separation
- L. Leilei - Adaptive Algorithms and Variable Structures for Distributed Estimation
- A. Aljohani - Novel Signal Processing Techniques for Single Carrier Multiuser MIMO Wireless Communications
- N.E. Eltayeb - Space-Time Coding for Broadband Point-to-Point and Collaborative Wireless Communications
- M. Grira - Partial Update Blind Adaptive Channel Shortening Algorithms for Wireline Multicarrier Systems
- T. Tsalaile - Digital Signal Processing Algorithms and Techniques for the Enhancement of Lung Sound Measurements
- L. Zhang - Advanced Signal Processing for Multi-User MIMO-OFDM
- A. Aubrey - Exploiting the Bi-modality of Speech in the Cocktail Party Problem
- J. Foster - Algorithms and Techniques for Polynomial Matrix Decompositions
- V. Sharma - Multiuser Spatial Diversity Techniques for Wireless Communication Systems,” Loughborough University
- M.T.N. Qaisrani - Estimation and Detection Techniques for Doubly Selective Channels in Wireless Communications
- S. Sanei and J.A. Chambers, "EEG Signal Processing", Wiley, July 2007
- D. Mandic and J.A. Chambers, "Recurrent Neural Networks for Prediction: Learning Algorithms, Architectures and Stability", Wiley, June 2001
Selected journal papers
- A. Panoui, S. Lambotharan and J.A. Chambers, “Game Theoretic Distributed Waveform Design for Multistatic Radar Networks,” IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, 2016.
- Parsaeefard,S ,Dawadi,R ,Derakhshani,M ,Le-Ngoc,T, Joint user association and resource allocation in virtualized wireless networks, IEEE Access, May 2016
- Z. Zhu, S. Lambotharan, W. Chin and Z. Fan, “A Game Theoretic Optimization Framework for Home Demand Management Incorporating Local Energy Resources,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, vol. 11 (2), pp. 353 – 362, April 2015.
- G. Bournaka, Y. Rahulamathavan, K. Cumanan, S. Lambotharan and F. Lazarakis, “A Base Station Beamforming Technique Using Multiple SINR Balancing Criteria,” IET Signal Processing, vol. 9 (3), pp. 248-259, May 2015.
- Shoaei,A ,Derakhshani,M ,Parsaeefard,S ,Le-Ngoc,T, MDP-based MAC Design with Deterministic Backoffs in Virtualized 802.11 WLANs, IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, 2015.
- Jumba,V ,Parsaeefard,S ,Derakhshani,M ,Le-Ngoc,T, Resource provisioning in wireless virtualized networks via massive-MIMO, IEEE Wireless Communications Letters, 4(3), 01st June 2015,
- Konstantinos G. Kyriakopoulos, Francisco J. Aparicio-Navarro, D. J. Parish, “Manual and Automatic Assigned Thresholds for Multi-layer Data Fusion IDS in 802.11 Attacks”, IET Information Security, Issue 1, Vol. 8, pp 42–50, 2014.
- Derakhshani,M ,Le-Ngoc,T, Distributed learning-based spectrum allocation with noisy observations in cognitive radio networks, IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, 63(8), 01st October 2014
- Z. Fan, P. Kulkarni, S. Gormus, C. Efthymiou, G. Kalogridis, M. Sooriyabandara, Z. Zhu, S. Lambotharan and W. Chin, “Smart Grid Communications: Overview of Research Challenges, Solutions, and Standardization Activities,” IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorials, vol. 15 (1), pp. 21 – 38, 2013.
- G. Bournaka, J. Tang, S. Lambotharan and F. Lazarakis, “A Coordinated Multiuser Relaying Technique through Interference Precoding at the Base Station”, IEEE Communication Letters, vol. 17 (6), pp. 1176 – 1179, June 2013.
- J. Tang and S. Lambotharan, “Interference Alignment Techniques for MIMO Multi-Cell Interfering Broadcast Channels,” IEEE Transactions Communications, vol. 61(1), pp. 164 – 175, Jan. 2013.
- G. Bournaka, K. Cumanan, S. Lambotharan and F. Lazarakis, “Transmitter-Receiver and Relay Optimization for Spectrum Sharing MIMO Peer-to-Peer Users”, IET Signal Processing, vol. 7 (5), pp. 411 – 419, 2013.
- K. Cumanan, Y. Rahulamathavan, S. Lambotharan and Z. Ding, “MMSE Based Beamforming Techniques for Relay Broadcast Channels,” IEEE Trans. Vehicular Technology, vol. 62(8), pp. 4045 – 4051, Oct. 2013.
- J. Tang, S. Pomeroy and S. Lambotharan, “Interference cancellation and Alignment Techniques for MIMO Cognitive Relay Networks,” IET Signal Processing, vol. 7 (3), pp. 188 – 200, 2013.
- K. Cumanan and S. Lambotharan, “Minimum Mean-Square Error Transceiver Optimization for Downlink Multiuser MIMO Network with Multiple Linear Transmit Covariance Constraints,” IET Signal Processing, vol. 7 (1), pp. 47-58, 2013.
- Francisco J. Aparicio-Navarro, Konstantinos G. Kyriakopoulos, D. J. Parish, “An Automatic and Self- Adaptive Multi-Layer Data Fusion System for WiFi Attack Detection”, International Journal of Internet Technology and Secured Transactions (IJITST), Inderscience, Issue 1, Vol. 5, pp 42-62, 2013.
- Z. Zhu, S. Lambotharan, W. Chin and Z. Fan, “Overview of Demand Management in Smart Grid and Enabling Wireless Communication Technologies,” IEEE Wireless Communications Magazine, June 2012.
- L. Angrisani, K. G. Kyriakopoulos, A. Napolitano, D. J. Parish, M. Vadursi, W. Whittow, “Experi- mental Assessment of the Effects of Cross-traffic on Wi-Fi Video Streaming”, In Measurement: Journal of the International Measurement Confederation, Vol. 44, Number 9, Pages 1661 - 1668, November 2011
- G Zheng, LC Choo, KK Wong, “Optimal cooperative jamming to enhance physical layer security using relays,” IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, 2011
- Y Huang, G Zheng, M Bengtsson, KK Wong, L Yang, B Ottersten, “Distributed multicell beamforming with limited intercell coordination,” IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, 2011.
- K. G. Kyriakopoulos, David J. Parish, “Applying wavelets for the controlled compression of commu- nication network measurements”, IET Commun., 2010, Vol. 4, Iss. 5, pp. 507–520 , 2010.
- M.S. Khan, S.M. Naqvi, W. Wang, and J.A. Chambers, "Video-aided model-based source separation in real reverberant rooms"IEEE Trans. Audio, Speech and Language Processing, Vol. 21, No. 9, pp. 1900-1912, 2013.
- G. Chen, Y. Gong, and J.A. Chambers, "Study of Relay Selection in a Multi-cell Cognitive Network, IEEE Wireless Communication Letters", Vol. 2(4), pp. 435-438, 2013.
- Y. Rahulamathavan, R. C.-W, Phan, J.A. Chambers, and D.J. Parish, Facial Expression Recognition in the Encrypted Domain based on Local Fisher Discriminant Analysis, IEEE Trans. Affective Computing, Vol. 4(1), pp. 83-92, 2013.
- G. Chen, O. Alnatouh and J. A. Chambers, “Two and Four Relay Selection Schemes for Application in Interference Limited Legacy Networks”, EURASIP J. Wire. Communs. and Network., vol. 351, Nov. 2012. doi:10.1186/1687-1499-2012-351.
- M.Yu, A. Rhuma, S.M. Naqvi, L. Wang and J.A. Chambers, Posture recognition based fall detection system for monitoring an elderly person in a smart home environment, IEEE Trans. On Info. Technology in Biomedicine, Vol. 16, No. 6, pp. 1274-1286, 2012.
- Y. Liang, S.M. Naqvi and J.A. Chambers, Audio-video based fast fixed-point IVA for multisource separation in a room environment, EURASIP J. Adv. Sig Proc, 2012:183, doi:10.1186/1687-6180-2012-183, 2012.
- F.Alotaibi and J.A. Chambers, "Outage Probability of Cooperative Cognitive Networks based on Distributed Orthogonal Space-time Block Codes", IEEE Trans on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 61, no. 8, pp. 3759-3765, 2012.
- A. Khalili, M.A. Tinati, A. Rastegarnia and J.A. Chambers, "Steady-state Analysis of Diffusion LMS Adaptive Networks with Noisy Links, IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol 60 Issue 2, pp 974-979, 2012.
- A.J.G.Anandkumar, A. Anandkumar, S. Lambotharan and J.A. Chambers, "Robust Rate-Maximization Game Under Bounded Channel Uncertainty" IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol 60, No.9, pp. 4471-4486, 2011.
- L. Musavian, S. Aïssa and S. Lambotharan, “Adaptive Modulation in Spectrum-Sharing Channels Under Delay Quality of Service Constraints,” IEEE Trans. Vehicular Technology, Vol 60(3) pp 901-911, Mar 2011.
- Z. Xiong, R. Krishna, K. Cumanan and S. Lambotharan, “Grassmannian Beamforming and Null Space Broadcasting Protocols for Cognitive Radio Networks,” IET Signal Processing, Vol 5(5), pp 451-460, Aug 2011.
- K. Cumanan, R. Krishna, L. Musavian and S. Lambotharan, “Joint Beamforming and User Maximization Techniques for Cognitive Radio Networks Based on Branch and Bound Method,” IEEE Trans. Wireless Communications, vol. 9, pp. 3082-92, Oct. 2010.
- L. Musavian, S. Aïssa and S. Lambotharan, “Effective Capacity for Interference and Delay Constrained Cognitive Radio Relay Channels”, IEEE Trans. Wireless Communications, vol. 9, pp. 1698-1707, May 2010.
- K. Cumanan, R. Krishna, Z. Xiong and S. Lambotharan, “Multiuser Spatial Multiplexing Techniques with Constraints on Interference Temperature for Cognitive Radio Networks,” IET Signal Processing, vol.4, pp. 666-672, Dec. 2010.
- M.Naqvi, M.Yu and J.A. Chambers, “A Multimodal Approach to Blind Source Separation of Moving Sources” IEEE Journal Selected Topics in Signal Processing Vol 4(5) pp 895-910, 2010
- J. Foster, J.G. McWhirter, M.R.Davies, and J.A. Chambers, “An Algorithm for Calculating the QR and Singular Value Decompositions of Polynomial Matrices”, to appear in IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, 2010. [Collaboration with Cardiff University]
- L. Li, J.A. Chambers, C. Lopes, and A. Sayed, “Distributed Estimation over an Adaptive Incremental Network based on the Affine Projection Algorithm”, to appear in IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, 2010. [Collaboration with UCLA, USA]
- K. Cumanan, L. Musavian, S. Lambotharan and A. Gershman, “SINR Balancing Technique for Downlink Beamforming in Cognitive Radio Networks,” to appear in IEEE Signal Processing Letters 2009.
- R. Krishna, K. Cumanan, Z. Xiong and S. Lambotharan, “A Novel Cooperative Relaying Strategy For Wireless Networks With Signal Quantization,” to appear in IEEE Trans. Vehicular Technology, 2009.
- W. Wang, A. Cichocki, and J.A. Chambers, “A multiplicative algorithm for convolutive non-negative matrix factorization based on squared Euclidean distance”, IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, Vol. 57, No. 7, pp. 2858-2863, 2009. [Collaboration with University of Surrey and Riken Lab, Japan]
- S.A. Dible, J.A. Flint and P A Lepper, “On the role of periodic structures in the lower jaw of the Atlantic Bottlenose Dolphin (Tursiops truncatus)”, IoP Bioinspiration and Biomimetics, Vol. 4, 2009, pp. 1-9.
- T. Tsalaile, R. Sameni, S. Sanei, C. Jutten, and J.A. Chambers, “Sequential Blind Source Extraction for Quasi-Periodic Signals with Time-Varying Period”, IEEE Trans. Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 56, No. 3, pp 646- 655, 2009. [Collaboration with GIPSA-lab, Grenoble, France]
- R. Krishna, Z. Xiong and S. Lambotharan, “A Cooperative MMSE Relay Strategy for Wireless Sensor Networks,” in IEEE Signal processing Letters, vol. 15, 2008.
- K. Nazarpour, Y. Wongsawat, S. Sanei, J.A. Chambers and S. Oraintara, “Removal of the Eye-Blink Artifacts from EEGs via STF-TS Modeling and Robust Minimum Variance Beamforming”, IEEE Transactions Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 55(9), pp. 2221-2231, Sept. 2008. [Collaboration with Cardiff University]
- L.-T. Ong, M. Shikh-Bahaei, and J.A. Chambers, “Variable Rate and Variable Power MQAM System Based on Bayesian Bit Error Rate and Channel Estimation Technicques”, IEEE Transactions Communications, Vol. 56(2), pp. 177-182, Feb. 2008. [Collaboration with King's College]
- Y. Zhang, N. Li, J.A. Chambers, and A.H. Sayed, “Steady state performance analysis of a variable tap-length LMS algorithm”, IEEE Transactions Signal Processing, Vol. 56(2), pp. 839-845, Feb. 2008. [Collaboration with UCLA, USA, and Harbin Engineering University, China]
- E. Touloupis, J. A. Flint, V. A. Chouliaras, D. D. Ward, Study of the Effects of SEU-Induced Faults on a Pipeline Protected Microprocessor. IEEE Trans. Computers, Vol. 56, No. 12, 2007, pp. 1585-1596.
- C. Cheong Took, S. Sanei, J.A. Chambers, S. Rickard, and S. Dunne, “Fractional delay estimation for blind source separation and localization of TMD joint sounds”, IEEE Transactions Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 55(3), pp. 949-956, July 2007.
- C. Toker, S. Lambotharan, and J.A. Chambers, “Joint Transceiver Design for MIMO Channel Shortening”, IEEE Transactions Signal Processing, Vol. 55, pp. 3851-3866, 2007.
- Q. Yu and S. Lambotharan, “Iterative (Turbo) Estimation and Detection Techniques for Frequency Selective Channels with Multiple Frequency Offsets,” IEEE Signal Processing Letters, April 2007.
This group has three main areas of research activity: Acoustics, Antennas and Propagation, and Communications Signal Processing.
Acoustics and Underwater Systems Research
- EPIC - improvement of mitigation for marine mammal by-catch. The development of improved methods of mitigating the incidental catch of this species in commercial gill-net fishing gear.
- ADEPT - reduction of predation by marine mammals using acoustics. The development of effective mechanisms to reduce this. predation, or opportunistic foraging, on fishing nets by dolphins
- CETASEL - investigation of marine mammal behaviour around pelagic fishing trawls. Investigate the behaviour of small cetaceans around a commercial pelagic trawl operating in deep water
- Acoustic deterrents to minimise entrapment of juvenile shad. Investigation of the ultrasonic acoustic deterrents’ to minimise fish entrapment in fresh water outflows from UK rivers.
- SIGMA - Sediment Identification for Geotechnics by Marine Acoustic and REBECCA
- DEO - Detection of Embedded Objects using non-linear sonar
- Underwater Noise Assessment System for Small Leisure Boats (BLUES)
- Underwater Noise Measurement of Marine Piling Operations
- Measurement of Noise Arising from Marine Aggregate Operations
- Validation of the auditory tolerance limit in harbour porpoises for exposure to construction noise from windmill turbines
- Noise field modelling and impact assessments in marine environments
Antennas and propagation
- Broadband antenna designs incorporating metamaterials
- Novel compact CP antennas for satellite communications
- Biomimetic antennas
- Polarisation dependent metamaterials
- Leak detection in plastic pipes
- The effect of jewellery on mobile telephone absorption
Communications and Signal Processing
- Signal Processing Solutions for Networked Battlespace
- Audio & Video Based Separation for Multiple Moving Sources Within a Room Environment
- Novel Communications Techniques Using Polynomial Matrix Decompositions
- Advanced Transmit Diversity and Spatial Multiplexing Techniques for the Enhancement of Capacity and Coverage in Wireless Broadband Access Systems
- Convex Optimization Based Robust Spatial Multiplexing Techniques for Downlink Multiuser Wireless Systems
- Game Theoretic Privacy-Preserving Data Mining
- Recent Research Results
- Cooperative Communications
Top image: © memorialphoto - Fotolia.com