Intelligent Automation Centre
The Intelligent Automation Centre has been formed following the conclusion of the EPSRC Centre for Innovative Manufacturing in Intelligent Automation. It brings together a wide range of expertise from manufacturing, mechanical, electrical and systems engineering, human factors, computer science, design, mathematics and economics.
The vision of the Centre is to inspire and deliver disruptive research and innovation in industrial automation, robotics and digitalisation that will transform industrial resilience, effectiveness and agility, leading to sustainable productivity growth.
To deliver this vision, the Intelligent Automation Centre has established a unique pipeline from discovery through to industrial deployment where we work very closely with our industrial, RTO and academic partners to deliver excellence from original concept through to industrialisation. The aim is to accelerate the creation of exploitable solutions that reach a wide range of industrial companies. This continuous pipeline is central to the success and value of the Centre and is unique within the UK.
The core aim of the Centre is to build the intelligent automation community in the UK by identifying and bringing together academics and industry in knowledge sharing relationships and engaging the engineers of the future.
Our strategic objectives are to:
- Deliver world leading research in industrial robotics and automation
- Fully understand human skill in industrial settings to create truly symbiotic human-automation systems
- Produce world first exemplars of research solutions at proof of concept demonstrator stage
- Broaden the take up of automation throughout industry, especially within SMEs
- Maintain highest levels of quality throughout the whole research and innovation process
- Take an internationally leading role, connecting research expertise with industrial needs to facilitate the digital transformation
- Inspire young people to consider future careers in highly skilled manufacturing roles
- Promote the further development of intelligent automation
The Centre has 400 square metres of dedicated lab space at Loughborough University along with access to state of the art research facilities. Academics and researchers work with industrial partners, sharing their complementary expertise to develop truly multidisciplinary research. Resources include a range of large industrial robot arms, machine vision and motion sensing equipment supported by a high end computational infrastructure.
Visit the Intelligent Automation Centre website for more information.