About the School
Our School has always been an integral part of the history of Loughborough University and it has grown and changed both to reflect our distinctive strengths and in response to changes in the external environment. Our work is internationally recognised and we are now one of the premier universities in the UK.
To meet the expanding range of related topics, the original pre-charter (1966) Electrical Engineering Department became the Department of Electronic and Electrical Engineering, and was housed in the Schofield building - named of course after Dr Herbert Schofield, Principal of Loughborough College, 1915-1950. Although this served the Department well for many years, the popularity of our subject continued to grow we eventually outgrew our home.
In 1974/5 a move was made to a new building at the west end of the campus. This is now named after Professor Sir David Davies, the distinguished electronic engineer and Fellow of the Royal Society, who also served as the fifth Vice Chancellor of Loughborough University
The School Today
More recently, and as a consequence of the greatly increased level of postgraduate activity, we now occupy part of the former British Gas premises at Holywell Park. This has provided much needed space for the Advanced Virtual Reality Centre (AVRRC), the Centre for Biological Engineering (CBE), the Research School of Systems Engineering (RSSE), the Centre for Renewable Energy Systems Technology (CREST) and the Centre for Mobile Communications Research (CMCR).
The Department of Electronic and Electrical Engineering became the School of Electronic, Electrical and Systems Engineering on 1st August 2011 and is proud to be part of one of the largest and most successful engineering faculties in the UK.
The School is an Enhanced Academic Partner of the IET.