Giving to Loughborough
Our Donor Charter
Loughborough University is very grateful to all our donors for their generous support. We welcome support from individuals, trusts and foundations, and organisations.
We are dedicated to ensuring that donors are treated with the highest level of respect and care. Support from our donors helps us to advance our mission and to sustain our international reputation for excellence in teaching, learning, research, enterprise and sport.
This Donor Charter has been produced to assure donors and prospective donors of the accountability of Loughborough University Development Trust’s (LUDT) activities.
All our staff strive to achieve the highest professional standards at all times.
Loughborough University promises to…
- Take the greatest care to ensure that a gift is used in accordance with a donor’s wishes. If for any reason this is not possible, we will consult with the donor or their representative.
- Use all unrestricted donations to advance the University’s priorities and mission as judged by the LUDT and senior staff of the University.
- Inform donors of the way we intend to use donations, and of our commitment to use donations effectively for intended purposes.
- Appropriately acknowledge, recognise and publicise donations in consultation with donors, and respect anonymity where requested.
- Respect a donor’s right to privacy and confidentially at all times, complying fully with the Data Protection Act 1998.
- Treat all solicitations and receipt of donations in a fair, transparent, accurate and honest manner in accordance with professional codes of fundraising ethics and good practice.
- Keep donors updated about the impact of their gift.
- Conduct our financial affairs in a responsible, ethical and legal manner.
- Update or correct any inaccurate personal data.
The University judges each donation individually and in accordance to its ethical guidelines and checklist. A gift may be declined if the University deems that:
- Such a gift would harm the reputation of Loughborough University.
- The proposed gift conflicts with the mission and values of Loughborough University.
- There is credible evidence that the gift will be made from a source that arises in whole or in part from illegal activity.
- The gift would require action that is illegal.
- The gift would damage the University’s relationship with other donors, partners, potential and current students, staff or research supporters.
Donors are entitled to request any of the following and to receive a response within 25 working days:
- A copy of all personal information held by the University relating to themselves.
- Confirmation of the LUDT’s exempt charitable status.
- A copy of LUDT’s most recent published financial accounts and other relevant financial information upon request.
Loughborough University will manage your personal data in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998. The University will not process your personal data for any other purpose than the administration of your donation. Except as might be required by law, we do not share any information we receive with any outside parties other than those providing an alumni-related service for the University. In such instances we will ensure that there are written contracts in place governing the usage of data.
Full details on how your data is held and used can be found on our website.
Freedom of Information
The University is subject to the requirements of the Freedom of Information Act 2000. Information regarding donations will, according to the preference of donors, be made public in certain University Publications, for example the donor magazine ‘Your Gift’. In exceptional circumstances further information regarding donors and donations may be subject to disclosure under the Act. The University’s Freedom of Information policy can be viewed here: www.lboro.ac.uk/foi/
If you would like to discuss any aspect of the Donor Charter or other matters concerning development activity at Loughborough, please contact Sarah Musgrave, Donor Stewardship Coordinator, S.Musgrave@lboro.ac.uk or 01509 228467.
- Tel: 01509 228467
- Email: S.Musgrave@lboro.ac.uk