Malcolm joined Loughborough University in 2007 and he is a Senior Lecturer in Visual Culture. He has a PhD in philosophy from University of Warwick and a BA(Hons) in Philosophy and Sociology from the University of York.
Malcolm is interested in the conditions for and the nature and functions of visual culture; he is interested in art and design as forms of representation and as ways in which cultural identities are constructed, communicated, contested and reproduced through representation. His publications have predominantly been concerned with fashion, and he has tried to correct the lack of interest in the theorisation of graphic design. More recently, he has been invited to write about photography and photography theory and has done this through introductions to the work of Jacques Derrida in the area. Two essays in this area are forthcoming.
Malcolm is investigating Kant’s under-appreciated theory of fashion in the Critique of Pure Reason, Heidegger’s equally neglected theory of fashion in Being and Time and in On Time and Being, using the work of Jean-Luc Nancy and Jacques Derrida as my guide.
A major work entitled The Deconstruction of Fashion, on fashion, representation and Derrida is contracted and anticipated.
Completed PhD supervision
- 2010 Kasia Zimna Play in the Theory and Practice of Art with Dr Jane Tormey
- 2012 Salman al Hajri Tools for Improving Graphic Design Education with Simon Downs
- 2015 Nick Wyatt Painting and Christianity
- 2015 Anne Burns Selfie Control: Online Discussion of Women's Photographic Practices as a Gendered Form of Social Discipline with Dr Jane Tormey
- 2016 Lingqi Kong An evaluation of the local–global cultural factors in wayfinding design: a case study on Beijing with Dr Rob Harland
- 2017 Sofia Mali The Visual Culture of Curating with Prof. Marsha Meskimmon
- 2018 Zak Jones The Souvenir: Nostalgia; Treasured Memories; Innocence
Malcolm is available for new PhD projects. Ideas and plans combining any or all of the following will be welcome: philosophy, representation, Derrida, culture, fashion, graphic design, semiology and meaning.
Various invited/guest lectures at Stockholm University, EKA Tallinn, Poznan, Universita Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Milan, Polytechnic Institute, Porto.
- 2012-present External Examiner UCA BA(Hons) Fashion Journalism
- 2000 External Examiner, PhD in Cultural Studies, Nottingham Trent University
- 2003 External Examiner, PhD in Cultural Studies, Nottingham Trent University
- 2004 External Examiner in Critical Studies on BA(Hons) Fine Art at Leeds Metropolitan University
- 2008 External Examiner, PhD Cultural Studies, University of Glamorgan
- 2010 External Examiner, PhD Cultural Studies, University of Glamorgan
- 2011 External Examiner, PhD Graphic Design theory, De Montfort University