Christos is a Lecturer in European and International Politics. He completed his undergraduate degree in European Studies in Greece at the Hellenic Open University. He then continued his studies at LSE, where he obtained an MSc in Development Studies. Christos received his PhD in International Political Economy from the Department of European and International Studies at King’s College London. During his fieldwork, Christos worked for the European Commission. Before moving to Loughborough, he was an Assistant Professor of International Relations at Antalya Bilim University.
Drawing from different perspectives of International Political Economy and International Relations, Christos' research focuses on the implementation of the European Neighbourhood Policy (ENP) in North Africa and the political economy of EU-MENA relations.
Christos' research in the ENP explores the role of interest groups in the formation of the preferences of the EU members and the partner countries. Besides the ENP and the EU-MENA relations, he is particularly interested in the aid policies of the EU member states and the political economy of EU development assistance.
Christos is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and holds the Dutch BKO. Before coming to Loughborough, he taught modules related to EU politics, international political economy, international relations and global politics at King’s College London, Birkbeck College London, the University of Westminster, Maastricht University and the University of Peloponnese.
Caglar Ozturk, Turkey's EU membership 2002-2019: at crossroads between transformational leadership, domestic politics and international dynamics.
Kourtelis, C. (2015) The Political Economy of Euro-Mediterranean Relations, Palgrave McMillan, Basingstoke. http://www.palgrave.com/gb/book/9781137449061
Kourtelis, C. (2022) ‘A quarter-century of studying EuroMediterranean relations: A systematic literature review’, Mediterranean Politics.
Articles in peer-reviewed journals:
- Kourtelis, C. (2021) 'The Agadir Agreement: The Capability Traps of Isomorphic Mimicry', World Trade Review, 20:3, pp. 306-320.
- Kourtelis, C. and Dandashly, A. (2020) ‘Classifying the implementation of the EU’s normative power in its Southern Neighbourhood: The role of local actors’, Journal of Common Market Studies, 58:6, pp1523-1539, DOI: 10.1111/jcms.13051
- Kourtelis, C. (2020) ‘The role of epistemic communities in EU’s neighbourhood policy’, Journal of European Integration, DOI: 10.1080/07036337.2020.1739031
- Kourtelis, C. (2019) ‘The Unintended Consequences of the EU's Rural Development Programme in the Arab Countryside’, The International Spectator, 54:1, pp60-75, DOI: 10.1080/03932729.2019.1557912 https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/03932729.2019.1557912?journalCode=rspe20
- Kourtelis, C. (2018) ‘From Neglect to Selective Engagement: The EU Approach to Rural Development in the Arab Mediterranean after the Arab Uprisings’, Mediterranean Politics, 23:1, 23-42, DOI: 10.1080/13629395.2017.1358897 http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/13629395.2017.1358897
- Kourtelis, C. (2017) ‘(Not) Learning from the Past? The diffusion of EU’s rural development policy in its Neighbouring Countries’, Journal of Balkan and Near Eastern Studies, DOI: 10.1080/19448953.2017.1367586 http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/19448953.2017.1367586?journalCode=cjsb20
- Kourtelis, C. (2015) ‘Assessing EU Aid to the ‘Southern Partners’ of the European Neighbourhood Policy: Who Benefits from the Reforms in the Agricultural and Industrial Sector?’ The Journal of Intervention and Statebuilding, 9:2, pp190-211. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/17502977.2015.1020736
- Kourtelis, C (2016) ‘The EU-MENA relationship before and after the Arab Spring’ in Cafruny, Alan, Talani, Leila Simona, Pozo Martin, Gonzalo (eds) The Palgrave Handbook of Critical International Political Economy, Palgrave McMillan, Basingstoke.
- Kourtelis, C. (2016) ‘Transferring Accession Programmes to the Arab Mediterranean partners: A comparative analysis between IPARD and the ENP reforms in the agricultural sector of the EU neighbouring countries’ in Gstohl, Sieglinde (eds) The European Neighbourhood Policy in a Comparative Perspective, Routledge, Abingdon.
- Kourtelis, C. (2011) ‘Social Injustices and international development cooperation: What is the role of aid provided by the new donors?’ in Afouxenidis, A (eds) Social injustices and space, Propompos, Athens.