- 2019: Post-doctoral fellow: Royal Society-Newton International Fellowship at Loughborough University, Geography and Environment
- 2018: Researcher at Department of Ecology and Hydrology, University of Murcia (Spain)
- 2015: PhD (Department of Ecology and Hydrology, Aquatic Ecology Group, University of Murcia, Spain)
- 2016-2017: Freshwater Ecologist at DBO5-AQUABIO Environmental Consulting firm, Seville, Spain
Prizes and awards:
- 2015: Best student presentation at 9th Symposium for European Freshwater Sciences (5-10 July 2015, Genève, Switzerland)
The main object of his research is represented by aquatic macroinvertebrates within different aquatic ecosystems (mainly rivers and streams) and their applications as indicators of ecosystem functioning, ecological status or conservation interest. He is interested in freshwater monitoring and ecological indicators, aquatic biodiversity distribution and factors related to its patterns as well as concordance among different components of aquatic biodiversity (under taxonomic and functional point of view).
Current research project:
The effects of biological invasions on the ecological integrity of rivers and biomonitoring indices: identifying challenges and predicting the consequences.
- Guareschi S., & Wood P.J. (2019). Taxonomic changes and non-native species: An overview of constraints and new challenges for macroinvertebrate-based indices calculation in river ecosystems. The Science of the Total Environment, 660, 40-46.
- N. Slimani, D. Sánchez-Fernández, E. Guilbert, M. Boumaïza, S. Guareschi, J. Thioulouse (2019). Assessing potential surrogates of macroinvertebrate diversity in North-African Mediterranean aquatic ecosystems. Ecological Indicators, 101, 324-329
- T Datry, A Foulquier, R Corti, D Schiller, K Tockner, C Mendoza-Lera, JC Clément, MO Gessner, M Moleón, R Stubbington, B Gücker, R Albariño, DC Allen, F Altermatt, MI Arce, S Arnon, D Banas, A Banegas-Medina, E Beller, ML Blanchette, JF Blanco-Libreros, JJ Blessing, IG Boëchat, KS Boersma, MT Bogan, N Bonada, NR Bond, KC Brintrup Barría, A Bruder, RM Burrows, T Cancellario, C Canhoto, SM Carlson, S Cauvy-Fraunié, N Cid, M Danger, Bianca Freitas Terra, AM Girolamo, Evans La Barra, R Campo, VD Diaz-Villanueva, F Dyer, A Elosegi, E Faye, C Febria, B Four, S Gafny, SD Ghate, R Gómez, L Gómez-Gener, MAS Graça, S Guareschi, F Hoppeler, JL Hwan, JI Jones, S Kubheka, A Laini, SD Langhans, C Leigh, CJ Little, S Lorenz, JC Marshall, E Martín, AR McIntosh, EI Meyer, M Miliša, MC Mlambo, M Morais, N Moya, PM Negus, DK Niyogi, A Papatheodoulou, I Pardo, P Pařil, SU Pauls, V Pešić, M Polášek, CT Robinson, P. Rodríguez-Lozano, RJ Rolls, MM Sánchez-Montoya, A Savić, O Shumilova, KR Sridhar, AL Steward, R Storey, A Taleb, A Uzan, R Vander Vorste, NJ Waltham, C Woelfle-Erskine, D Zak, C Zarfl, and A Zoppini (2018). A global analysis of terrestrial plant litter dynamics in non-perennial waterways. Nature Geoscience, 11, 497-503
- Guareschi S., Mellado-Díaz A., Puig M.A, & Sánchez-Fernández D. (2018). On the Iberian endemism Eurylophella iberica Keffermuller and Da Terra 1978 (Ephemeroptera, Ephemerellidae): current and future potential distributions, and assessment of the effectiveness of the Natura 2000 network on its protection. Journal of Insect Conservation, 22, 127-134.
- Guareschi S., Laini A., & Sánchez-Montoya M. M. (2017). How do low-abundance taxa affect river biomonitoring? Exploring the response of different macroinvertebrate-based indices. Journal of Limnology, 76, 9-20.
- Fenoglio S., Bonada N., Guareschi S., López-Rodríguez M.J., Millán A., & Tierno de Figueroa J.M. (2016). Freshwater ecosystems and aquatic insects: a paradox in biological invasions. Biology Letters, 12(4), 20151075.
- Guareschi S., Abellán P., Laini A., Green A.J., Sánchez-Zapata J.A., Velasco J., & Millán A. (2015). Cross-taxon congruence in wetlands: assessing the value of waterbirds as surrogates of macroinvertebrate biodiversity in Mediterranean Ramsar sites. Ecological Indicators, 49, 204-215.
- Guareschi S., Bilton D.T., Velasco J., Millán A., & Abellán P. (2015). How well do protected area networks support taxonomic and functional diversity in non-target taxa? The case of Iberian freshwaters. Biological Conservation, 187, 134-144.