- 2020 – present: Research Associate in Geography, Sociology and Education, Loughborough University
- 2016 – 2021: PhD Education, University of Bath (+3 ESRC studentship)
- 2020: Research Associate in Education, University of Bath
- 2019: Research Assistant, Institute for Policy Research, University of Bath
- 2018: UKRI Policy Research Intern, Department for Education, Westminster
- 2015 – 2016: MRes social science research methods, University of East Anglia
Sam is a Research Associate in geography, sociology and education, and currently works on the ‘Tutored Childhoods’ project, funded by the Leverhulme Trust and led by Professor Sarah Holloway. The study examines how participation in private tuition across England is shaped by social class, ethnicity and geographic region. Previously, Sam was a Research Associate at the University of Bath and worked on the ESRC-funded ‘Geographies of higher education’ project, which involved mapping student mobilities within the UK.
Sam’s research interests and experience to date have been cross-disciplinary, spanning geography, education and sociology. As a doctoral student, he was based in the University of Bath’s Internationalisation and Globalisation of Higher Education research cluster. His thesis explored how British young people’s transitions to higher education are mediated by place, space and social class, and he is interested, broadly, in how social inequalities in education are shaped by geography.
Alongside his doctorate, Sam undertook research at the Institute for Policy Research (University of Bath) investigating social and geographic disparities in extra-curricular engagement in English schools, a study led by the Government’s Social Mobility Commission. He also spent time at the Department for Education as a UKRI Policy Intern, where his research centred on university access and participation.
- Bunnell, T., Donnelly, M., Lauder, H. and Whewall, S. (2020) International mindedness as a platform for class solidarity. Compare: a journal of comparative international education, 1-17.
- Donnelly, M., Gamsu, S. and Whewall, S. (2020) Mapping the relational construction of people and places. International journal of social research methodology, 23(1): 91-108.
- Donnelly, M., Lažetić, P., Sandoval-Hernández, A., Kumar, K. and Whewall, S. (2019) An unequal playing field: Extra-curricular activities, soft skills and social mobility. London: Social Mobility Commission.