Rebecca joined Loughborough University in March 2016 as a laboratory technician in the Geography Department. She provides support to students, researchers and academics for laboratory and field based activities.
Previously, she worked as a field technician at the Environment Research Institute (part of North Highland College, UHI), where she was mostly involved with projects located within the Flow Country’s RSPB Forsinard Reserve.
In 2013, she completed her PhD at Centre for Ecology and Hydrology (CEH) Edinburgh/The University of Manchester. Her PhD was titled “Fluxes of nitrogen in a semi-natural ecosystem” and the research was carried out at a peatland near Edinburgh. She investigated the deposition of inorganic and organic nitrogen to the site, and its subsequent export via a stream. She also assessed changes in nitrogen deposition over a 15 year period and constructed a nitrogen budget of the site.
Prior to this, She worked as a research assistant at CEH Edinburgh where she was responsible for the collection and analysis of soil, gas, vegetation and stream samples for a variety of projects, at sites across the UK.
- Provide technical support to staff, post-doctoral and postgraduate researchers.
- Ensure all the equipment is properly maintained.
- Provide technical support for undergraduate and masters practical classes
- Ensure laboratories are kept clean, tidy and organised.
- Provide support for both residential and non-residential field trips.
- Ensure compliance with health and safety regulations, and University, School and departmental procedures and protocols.
- Holden J.; Moody C.S.; Turner T.E.; McKenzie, R; Baird, A.J.; Billett, M.F.; Chapman, P.J.; Dinsmore, K.J.; Grayson, R.P.; Andersen, R.;. Gee, C.; Dooling, G., 2018, Water-level dynamics in natural and artificial pools in blanket peatlands. Hydrological Processes, 32, 550–561.
- McKenzie, Rebecca M.; Özel, Mustafa Z.; Cape, J. Neil; Drewer, Julia; Dinsmore, Kerry J.; Nemitz, Eiko; Tang, Y. Sim; van Dijk, Netty; Anderson, Margaret; Hamilton, Jacqueline F.; Sutton, Mark A.; Gallagher, Martin W.; Skiba, Ute. 2016 The import and export of organic nitrogen species at a Scottish ombrotrophic peatland. Biogeosciences, 13 (8). 2353-2365
- Skiba, U.; Jones, S.K.; Drewer, J.; Helfter, C.; Anderson, M.; Dinsmore, K.; McKenzie, R.; Nemitz, E.; Sutton, M.A., 2013, Comparison of soil greenhouse gas fluxes from extensive and intensive grazing in a temperate maritime climate. Biogeosciences, 10, 1231-1241
- Kindler, Reimo; Siemens, Jan; Kaiser, Klaus; Walmsley, David C.; Bernhofer, Christian; Buchmann, Nina; Cellier, Pierre; Eugster, Werner; Gleixner, Gerd; Grunwald, Thomas; Heim, Alexander; Ibrom, Andreas; Jones, Stephanie K.; Jones, Mike; Klumpp, Katja; Kutsch, Werner; Steenberg Larsen, Klaus; Lehuger, Simon; Loubet, Benjamin; McKenzie, Rebecca; Moors, Eddy; Osborne, Bruce; Pilegaard, Kim; Rebmann, Corinna; Saunders, Matthew; Schmidt, Michael W.I.; Schrumpf, Marion; Seyfferth, Janine; Skiba, Ute; Soussana, Jean-Francois; Sutton, Mark A.; Tefs, Cindy; Vowinckel, Bernhard; Zeeman, Matthias J.; Kaupenjohann, Martin. 2011 Dissolved carbon leaching from soil is a crucial component of the net ecosystem carbon balance. Global Change Biology, 17 (2). 1167-1185
- Drewer, J.; Lohila, A.; Aurela, M.; Laurila, T.; Minkkinen, K.; Penttilä, T.; Dinsmore, K.J.; McKenzie, R.M.; Helfter, C.; Flechard, C.; Sutton, M.A.; Skiba, U.M., 2010, Comparison of greenhouse gas fluxes and nitrogen budgets from an ombotrophic bog in Scotland and a minerotrophic sedge fen in Finland, European Journal of Soil Science, 61, 640-650
- Cowie, G.L.; Mowbray, S.; Lewis, M. ; Matheson, H.; McKenzie, R. 2009, Carbon and nitrogen elemental and stable isotopic compositions of surficial sediments from the Pakistan margin of the Arabian Sea, Deep Sea Research Part II: Topical Studies in Oceanography, 56, 271-28