Nico Carpentier is Professor in Media and Communication Studies at the Department of Informatics and Media of Uppsala University. In addition, he holds two part-time positions, those of Associate Professor at the Communication Studies Department of the Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB - Free University of Brussels) and Docent at Charles University in Prague. Moreover, he is a Research Fellow at the Cyprus University of Technology. Earlier, he was ECREA Treasurer (2005-2012) and Vice-President (2008-2012), and IAMCR Treasurer (2012-2016). Currently, he is Chair of the Participatory Communication Research Section at IAMCR.
His theoretical focus is on discourse theory, his research interests are situated in the relationship between media, journalism, politics and culture, especially towards social domains as war & conflict, ideology, participation and democracy. This has been translated into the following five topical areas:
- Media, participation and democracy;
- Media, death and war;
- Journalism and identity;
- Audience and reception;
- Discourse theory.
- BOGAERTS, JO, CARPENTIER, NICO (2012) The Postmodern Challenge to Journalism: Strategies for Constructing a Trustworthy Identity, in Chris Peters & M. Broersma (Eds.) Rethinking journalism. Trust and Participation in a Transformed News Landscape, London: Routledge, pp. 60-71.
- CARPENTIER, NICO (2011) Contextualising author-audience convergences. 'New' technologies' claims to increased participation, novelty and uniqueness, Cultural Studies, 25(4-5): 517-533.
- CARPENTIER, NICO (2011) Media and Participation. A site of ideological-democratic struggle. Bristol: Intellect.
- CARPENTIER, NICO (2011) New Configurations of the Audience? The Challenges of User-Generated Content for Audience Theory and Media Participation, in V. Nightingale (ed.) The Handbook of Media Audiences, Malden, MA: Wiley-Blackwell, pp. 190-212.
- CARPENTIER, NICO (2011) Policy's hubris. Power, fantasy and the limits of (global) media policy interventions, in Robin Mansell and Marc Raboy (eds.) Handbook on Global Media and Communication Policy. London: Blackwell, pp. 113-128.
- CARPENTIER, NICO (2011) The concept of participation. If they have access and interact, do they really participate? CM, Communication Management Quarterly, 21: 13-36. [Available online]
- CARPENTIER, NICO, DAHLGREN, PETER (eds.)(2011) Interrogating audiences: theoretical horizons of participation. CM, Communication Management Quarterly, 21. [Available online]
- CARPENTIER, NICO, VAN BRUSSEL LEEN (2012) On the Contingency of Death. A Discourse-Theoretical Perspective on the Construction of Death, Critical Discourse Studies, 9(2), 99-115.
- VAN BAUWEL, SOFIE, CARPENTIER, NICO (eds.) (2010) Trans-reality television. The transgression of reality, genre, politics and audience in Reality TV, Lexington: MA: Lexington Books.
- VAN BRUSSEL, LEEN, CARPENTIER, NICO (2012) The discursive construction of the dying subject. A discourse-theoretical analysis of Belgian newspaper articles on the end-of-life care, Journal of Language and Politics, 11(4), 479-499.