Thais is a PhD student in the Communication and Media subject area at Loughborough University since April 2016. She holds a master’s degree in Communication and Information (UFRGS-Brazil), a magna cum laude bachelor in Social Communication & Journalism (UFRGS-Brazil), a specialization in Criminal Sciences (PUCRS-Brazil), and a MBA in People Management (FGV-Brazil). Moreover, she has worked since 2004 in the communication market, especially with journalism (reporting and editing) and advertising (social media and PR).
Thais' research is in the field of the digital culture, especially about Deep Web, surveillance, privacy and anonymity. She has a particular interest in researching the representations and perceptions of the Deep Web as a way to escape the massive surveillance on the internet to which we are submitted nowadays. Her work is supervised by Dr. John Downey and Dr. Simone Natale and located at the Centre for Research in Communication and Culture (CRCC) in the School of Social Sciences and Humanities at Loughborough University.
Research interests: anonymity, deep web, digital culture, media, online privacy, online surveillance, social behavior, social networks, social sciences.
- Paper published: “The buzzfeedzation of journalism: 5 things you need to know about Zero Hora's case”. Revista do Programa de Pós-graduação em Comunicação. Universidade Federal de Juiz de Fora (UFJF). ISSN 1981- 4070. v. 9, n. 2 (2015). Available in Portuguese: http://tinyurl.com/thaislumina
- Master’s thesis: “The identity management on social networking sites: strategies to presentation of self on Facebook and LinkedIn” | Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul State (UFRGS) | April 2015. Available in Portuguese: http://tinyurl.com/thaisthesis
- Conference presentation: “The social networking sites affordances and identity management: a study about how Facebook and LinkedIn lead the behavior of subjects in everyday life”. Designa 2015 — International Conference on Design Research | University of Beira Interior | November 2015. Available in Portuguese: http://tinyurl.com/thaisdesigna
- Conference presentation: “The buzzfeedzation of journalism: 5 things you need to know about Zero Hora's case”. 8th National Symposium of the Brazilian Association of Researchers in Cyber culture | College of Advertising and Marketing (ESPM-SP) | December 2014. Available in Portuguese: http://tinyurl.com/thaisabciber
- Conference presentation: “Behavior, impression and coherence: how to identify social representation in building a profile on LinkedIn”. 37th Brazilian Congress of Communication Sciences | State University Midwest (Unicentro) | September 2014. Available in Portuguese: http://tinyurl.com/thaisintercom