Currently Guzel is Research Associate at the project ‘‘Tourism as memory making: heritage and memory-wars in post-Soviet cities’’ supervised by Dr Alena Pfoser. Before coming to Loughborough she was COFUND Junior Research Fellow at Durham University. Her research project at Durham focused on digital nationalism and inter-ethnic solidarity in the Russian Federation. Prior to that she was postdoctoral fellow on projects in Sweden (REMESO, Linkoping Uinversity) and Austria (IWM). Guzel’s broader research interests include sociology of nationalism and ethnicity, qualitative and digital methodology, Russian state and society. She has taught courses on nationalism, nation-building, inter-ethnic relations and memory politics at Durham University, UK and Kazan Federal University, Russia.
Guzel is currently working as Research Associate at the project ‘Tourism as memory making: heritage and memory-wars in post-Soviet cities’ supervised by Dr Alena Pfoser. Her work considers interrelations of tourism and memory politics in nationalising Kazakhstan with the focus on re-branding of its former capital – Almaty.
- 2019.‘Exploring Sensitive Topics in an Authoritarian Context: An Insider Perspective’ Social Science Quarterly, Volume 100 Issue 4. pp.1459-1478 https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/ssqu.12642
- 2018. Cultural nationalism and everyday resistance in an illiberal nationalising state: ethnic minority nationalism in Russia’, Nations and Nationalism. Volume 24, Issue 3, July p. 624-647 https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/nana.12366
- 2018. ‘Social Remittances in Religion: Muslim Migrants in Russia and Transformation of Islamic Practices’ Problems of Post-Communism, 65/3, pp. 188-200 (co-authored with Ponarin E.). https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10758216.2016.1224552?journalCode=mppc20
- 2018.Making Ethnic Boundaries in the Society of Religious Renaissance: Islam and Everyday Ethnicity in Post-Soviet Tatarstan’, National Identities 20/4, pp. 345-360. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/14608944.2016.1265493
- 2016. ‘The Islamic Representation of Tatarstan as an Answer to the Equalization of the Russian Regions’, Nationalities Papers, 44/1, pp. 38-54 https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00905992.2015.1061983
- 2012.‘Ethnic Groups’ Struggle for the Status: The Role of Religion’, Sociological journal [Sociologicheskii zhurnal], №3, pp. 5-20 https://www.jour.isras.ru/index.php/socjour/article/view/8
- 2012. ‘About the Mission of Islam in Tatarstan: The Legitimatization of Privilege Rights of Titular Ethnic Group’, Sociological studies [Sociologicheskie issledovania], №3, pp. 133-138 https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=17695379
- 2010. ‘Sexual Scripts of the Youth in the Multi-ethnic Rural Society’, in Practices of Identity: Gender Dimension, ed. by E. Zdravomislova, V. Pasinkova, A. Temkina, O. Tkach.EU SPb press, pp. 69-97