Fanni Toth is a Research Associate on the Illiberal Turn project at Loughborough University. Previously, Fanni completed two MA degrees and an ESRC-funded PhD in International Relations from the University of Nottingham. Her thesis examined the transformative power of the European Union on political attitudes in post-communist Europe, considering the impact on support for democracy and the EU. Fanni’s thesis was awarded the British Political Studies Association’s Lord Bryce Prize for best dissertation in comparative politics.
Fanni’s research concentrates on democratisation, political attitudes, Europeanisation, public administration and public policy, with a regional focus on Eastern Europe.
Currently, Fanni is Research Associate on the on the ESRC-funded Illiberal Turn project, where her primary responsibilities involve quantitative data collection, analysis and management.
Fanni is also involved in a project looking at the selection and de-selection of bureaucratic elites in post-communist Europe, involving the creation and coding of a new dataset of bureaucratic elites in post-communist Hungary. Previously, Fanni has also collaborated on other research projects, including the EU Competencies Project – a new index of the Europeanisation of policy based on an expert survey – and the British Academy and DfID Anti-Corruption Evidence Programme.
- NANOU, K., ZAPRYANOVA, G. & TOTH F. (2017) "An ever-closer union? Measuring the expansion and ideological content of European Union policy-making through an expert survey." European Union Politics 18/4: 678-693.
- TOTH, F. (2015) “Book Review: Political Theory: Why Europe Matters: The Case for the European Union by John McCormick.” Political Studies Review, 13/2: 306.
- MEYER-SAHLING, J., SCHUSTER, C., SASS MIKKELSEN, K., QERIQI, H. & TOTH, F. (2018) Towards a More Professional Civil Service in Kosovo: Evidence from a Survey of Civil Servants in Central and Local Government. London: British Academy and DfID Anti-Corruption Evidence Programme [Project Report].
- MEYER-SAHLING, J., SCHUSTER, C., SASS MIKKELSEN, K., LUITEL, B., SHRESTHA, S. & TOTH, F. (2018) Civil Service Management in Nepal: Evidence from a Survey of More than 1.200 Civil Servants. London: British Academy and DfID Anti-Corruption Evidence Programme [Project Report].
- MEYER-SAHLING, J., SCHUSTER, C., SASS MIKKELSEN, K., MARFUL ISLAM, K., RAHMAN, T., & TOTH, F. (2018) Civil Service Management in Bangladesh: Evidence from a Survey of More than 1.000 Civil Servants. London: British Academy and DfID Anti-Corruption Evidence Programme [Project Report].