Renewables: Energy System Investment and Risk Management - Distance Learning
3 February 2020 - 17 June 2020
This 15 week online course provides a solid grounding in the knowledge and skills required to evaluate risk and make effective investment decisions in the energy sector. The course includes real-time on-line seminars, recorded lectures, problem solving and case studies, including the development of community-scale CHP proposal. It also includes a competitive game-based simulation of a pool electricity market. This course also includes an exploration of relevant market, policy and regulatory issues, and combines a solid grounding in investment and risk modelling with key energy infrastructure technical aspects.
Upon completion, students will be able to apply qualitative and quantitative techniques across a range of professional contexts and project scales with regards investment in energy systems.
The course is intended for:
- Numerate graduates or professionals with relevant industrial experience who have engineering or economics/finance/management backgrounds.
- Personnel involved in energy infrastructure investment planning, including engineering consultants, investment organisations, DNOs, energy generators, developers, financiers, insurance companies and government bodies amongst others.
- Energy systems asset managers and operations analysts.
- Actuaries and risk analysts within the insurance sector.
You can choose to take *formal assessment at Loughborough and if successful can accumulate credits towards your personal CPD portfolio. By obtaining credits you may also be eligible to progress towards a postgraduate award.
The deadline date for booking is 6 January 2020. Online booking is now available but if you have any further questions prior to booking please contact Jenny Evans.
*Taking an exam at Loughborough is free of charge. An additional Loughborough administration fee of £250 is charged for taking exams off campus. However you will have to pay further costs to arrange and use an approved local exam centre. For more details please contact Jenny Evans prior to making your booking.
- Course code
- One semester: 100 hours study; approximately 7 hours a week
- Course leader
- Dr Paul Rowley
- The Wolfson School of Mechanical, Electrical and Manufacturing
- Places available
- Target audience
- This course is for graduates in engineering or other technical disciplines (see above).
- Previous experience
- If you do not have a degree but have relevant experience please e-mail Jenny Evans prior to registering with details of your work experience. An assessment will be made on your suitability for the course.
- Assessment is by coursework (60%) and exam (40%)
- 10 credits
- Course fee
- £895 (Loughborough alumni £716)
- Accommodation costs
- Not applicable
- Accommodation information
- Not applicable
In the event of cancellation by the delegate, an administration fee of £250.00 for each student place is levied.
Cancellations must be received at least 5 working days prior to the start of the course. We regret that no refund of course fees can be made for cancellations received after this date.
To apply for a refund you must inform us, in writing, and provide written evidence of the original payment as refunds will only be paid to the account from where it originated. The University also reserves the right to make reasonable alterations to the content of the course. In the event of cancellation by the University, fees will be refunded in full. It does not accept liability for costs incurred by delegates or their organisations for cancellation of travel arrangements and/or accommodation.
© 2019 Loughborough University. All rights reserved.