Frequently asked questions

If you're applying for a Doctorate, or other type of research degree, you no doubt have a lot of different questions before you even get started: such as, when is the deadline for applying? How do I find funding?How do I get a visa?

If you still have any questions, don't forget that you can contact us any time via email.

You can also chat to staff and students by taking part in one of our web chats, or coming along to one of our open events.

How do I find a suitable PhD opportunity?

We have a huge range of existing opportunities available to work with fantastic supervisors on exciting and impactful projects.

What's more, if you can't find what you're looking for in our list of current PhD projects, we give you the opportunity to develop your own research proposal and approach one of our academics in the hope that they will want to work with you.

How do I apply for a research opportunity?

You should apply online via our Application Portal. Applying online allows us to process applications quickly, and provide you with a good service. Your application must be supported by documentary evidence of entry qualifications (including English language where appropriate) and academic transcripts.

After applying you can upload your documents by returning to your application in the Application Portal, and clicking on 'View/Upload Documents'. You can upload your supporting documents at any time during the year.

When do the research programmes start?

There are four available start dates for postgraduate research courses during the academic year:

  • 1st April
  • 1st July
  • 1st October
  • 1st January

What are the English language requirements?

All applicants for admission to Loughborough University must have a qualification in English Language before they can be admitted to any course or programme, whether their first language is English or not.

The standard University IELTS English language requirements is 6.5 overall with 6.0 in each individual element (reading, writing, listening and speaking). Some departments may require higher level English language. Please visit our Standard English language requirements webpage for more information.

What can I do if I haven't fully met my English language requirements yet?

If you have not fully met the English language requirements asked for in your offer, it is possible that the School/Department may allow you to take an English Language Pre-sessional Course offered by the University’s Student Support Centre.

Not all Schools/Departments will allow students to take an English Language Pre-sessional Course, so you should check the guidance carefully.

If you apply for and are offered a place on an English Language Pre-sessional Course we will provide you with a Certificate of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) which covers this course.

How do I apply for a visa?

If you are an overseas student who requires a Tier 4 student visa to study in the UK, our team of friendly and highly trained immigration advisors can guide you through the process. Please visit our Visa and Immigration advice webpage for more information.

Are there any scholarships available for research students?

There are a number of different funding options available to research students, including studentships, scholarships, bursaries and loans. For more information, please visit our research degree funding page.