Visa Advice

If you are undertaking an overseas study exchange, it is likely that you will need a visa for the duration of your stay in your chosen destination. Visa requirements will vary depending on the host country and the length of the study exchange, and it is your responsibility to carry out the appropriate research and ensure that you obtain the correct documentation.

  There are a number of ways in which you can find out what type of visa will be required:

  • Have a look at your host university’s website as there may be some information specifically for incoming exchange students.
  • Contact your host university as there may be a team which provides visa/immigration advice.
  • Contact the host country’s embassy, high commission or consulate based in the UK. The Government website provides details of foreign embassies, high commissions and consulates in the UK.
  • Use your Loughborough credentials to log into the GoinGlobal database within the Careers Network Toolkit which can be found at:


             Enter the host country, click on ‘Getting the Job’ and select ‘Visa and Work Permit Overview’.

It is recommended that you begin your visa research/application as soon as possible as there can be a significant waiting time during busy periods.  Additionally, please ensure that you have given consideration to the costs involved in applying for a visa and, in particular for some countries, the requirement to provide proof of funds as part of the application process.