Student handbook

How we use your data

Council Tax

Each academic year the University shares a data extract with Charnwood Borough Council, detailing all full-time students as follows:

  • Taught students: within the first 6 weeks of each academic year
  • Research students: at the start of each month

If you receive a Council Tax bill within these periods, you should contact Charnwood Borough Council to advise them that you are a full-time student and that your status will be confirmed by the University as part of the process detailed above.

You will be included in the above data extract if you have registered for the current academic year and you have provided us with a term-time address. It is, therefore, very important that you ensure that term-time address is up to date on Student Self-service.

Other Councils

If you reside in an area that is not covered by Charnwood Borough Council, you will need to request a Council Tax Exemption Certificate. This letter confirms your status as a student and study dates and can be presented to the relevant Council as proof of your full-time student status. You can request a letter on the Student Enquiries site. Please note: We cannot issue a Council Tax Exemption Certificate until your registration is complete (including collecting your ID card.)

The rules are different if you live with someone who is not a full-time student – but your household could still get a discount. The Government’s Council Tax pages are a good place for further detailed information

Definition of full-time status for Council Tax purposes

For council tax purposes the definition of a full-time student includes people who are:

  • Enrolled for the purpose of attending a university or college course which lasts for at least one academic year, normally requires attendance of at least 24 weeks a year and involves on average at least 21 hours of study, tuition or work experience per week during term time; or
  • Under the age of 20 and studying for at least 12 hours per week on a course which lasts for more than three months for any qualification up to A level, ONC or OND standard (correspondence courses, evening classes or courses taken in connection with a person's job, such as on day release, are not included).

You will count as a student throughout the duration of your Programme including any vacations and periods of non-attendance with leave of absence. If you are undertaking work experience as part of a sandwich course you will still be treated as a student provided the time spent on work experience does not exceed the time spent on study and tuition during the whole course.

If you need assistance with Council Tax exemptions, please contact the Student Advice and Support Service.