Seven students competed – Sabrina Rew, Luisa Vargas, Lottie Blythe, Matthieu Chan, Thomas Festa Oderinde, Joseph Eaton and Ming Lau.
The majority of the athletes earned a personal best on their lifts or totals and Matthieu broke the Junior British record with an outstanding 308kg deadlift, earning him first place in his category.
The club is certainly making a name for itself in the wider Junior powerlifting community. Their results are as follows:
- Sabrina Rew u57kg Female - 125 Squat, 67.5 Bench, 157.5 Deadlift = 350 Total (2.5kg Competition PB)
- Luisa Vargas u63kg Female - 105 Squat, 60 Bench, 142.5 Deadlift = 307.5 Total (2.5kg Competition PB)
- Lottie Blythe u72kg Female - 105 Squat, 85 Bench, 100 Deadlift = 290 Total.
- Matthieu Chan u83kg Male - 252.5 Squat, 142.5 Bench, 308 Deadlift = 703 Total (35.5kg Competition PB)
- Thomas Festa Oderinde u93kg Male - 245 Squat, 135 Bench, 285 Deadlift = 665 Total (45kg Competition PB)
- Joseph Eaton u93kg Male - 217.5 Squat, 132.5 Bench, 245 Deadlift = 595 Total (40kg Competition PB)
- Ming Lau u105kg Male - 237.5kg Squat, 152.5 Bench, 270 Deadlift = 660 Total
Ming Lau said: “I thoroughly enjoyed my time at my first British Junior Nationals. Getting to see familiar faces and meet new ones within the powerlifting community was great, as well as being able to witness quality lifting.
“I have to mention our coach, Alec Hewstone, who accommodated and helped us for the whole week, in and out of competition.”
On Saturday 7 December, there will be a chance to qualify for Unichamps 2020 as the North Midlands University Champs will be hosted in James France Exhibition Hall. The competition is open to those who are under 25 and have a British Powerlifting membership number.
Please note the there is a cap of 60 lifters. To enter please email NMPLComp@gmail.com.