Membership terms and conditions
The below terms and conditions apply to all Loughborough Sport memberships based at Holywell Fitness Centre, Powerbase, HiPAC, the Swimming Pool, and all other Loughborough Sport facilities, and pitches. Prior to purchasing a membership with us you should read the terms and conditions carefully and be aware of our surcharges.
In the event of any dispute as to the meaning of the terms outlined above the Director of Sport or his nominated deputy’s reasonable interpretation of the terms is final.
Non-compliance with these Terms and Conditions may result in membership being withdrawn, cancelled or a member incurring a surcharge of £50. Exceptions to these Terms and Conditions will be at the discretion of Loughborough Sport Management.
1. Loughborough Sport as part of Loughborough University, will process your personal data in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the Data Protect Act 2018. Our privacy notice is issued in accordance with the GDPR Articles 13 and 14.
2. Loughborough Sport may share your data with third parties for agreed data processing, such as the collection of subscription fees or to allow us to keep in touch with you about your account. These communications will be regarding your subscriptions, participating activities and service messages. The third party will not be allowed to use or disclose your data to any business, organisation or individual, unless required by law.
Loughborough University is registered as a Data Controller under the Data protection act 1998 (registration No. Z3179802), if you would like to speak to us about how we collect and process your data, please contact our Data Protection Officer;
Address: Academic Registry, Loughborough University, Epinal Way, Loughborough, Leicestershire. LE11 3TU
Telephone: 01509 222819
5. All memberships are strictly non-transferrable and cannot be suspended, frozen, or resold to a third party.
6. All members are encouraged to use the Loughborough Sport app to access facilities. Loughborough University Students, Staff members and Campus Partners will have their membership allocated to their Loughborough University ID card. External members will be issued a membership card if unable to use the Loughborough Sport app. Replacement of lost membership cards shall incur a fee of £5. Access will be granted by reception without a card or app on 2 occasions on proof of identity, after 2 occasions entry will be denied without a valid membership card or app.
7. A photograph will be taken of all new members at the time of taking out a membership or on request when purchasing online. This will be attached to the account to identify the membership holder.
8. We encourage all new members to undertake a free gym induction with one of our qualified Instructors prior to using the facilities. Alternatively, an induction video is available on our website or at reception on request. Those that choose to exercise without seeking any fitness advice from Loughborough Sport, will assume all liability and responsibility for any injuries caused by the exercises they choose to perform. However, competency in using the fitness suite may be questioned by our Instructors at any time and where competency levels fail, a full gym induction MUST be completed prior to accessing the facilities in the future. Failure to comply will result in termination of membership.
9. The ‘Welcome back’ and ‘Thank You’ discount schemes are only available for members who had academic year memberships in 2019/20 and 2020/21 respectively and didn’t request a refund or extension in lieu of this discount offer. Members will only be eligible for the ‘Welcome back’ discount if their 2019/20 membership, which would have originally been due to end in July 2020, was not cancelled. If members were away from campus in 2020/21, proof of placement is required to receive the ‘Welcome back’ discount. The expiry date to claim the "welcome back" and "Thank you" discounts is the 31st December 2022. Any requests made after this date will not be considered. This deadline includes requests to extend any unused credits purchased during the 2019/2020 and 2020/2021 terms.
Use of all sports facilities
10. Last entry will be 30 minutes prior to facility/session closure. All customers must leave the building 15 minutes after the facility closing time stated in the reception area.
11. Lockers are available to use within each facility and are operated by £1 coins or locked with a padlock. Padlocks can be purchased at reception and cannot be hired. All possessions must be removed after each visit. Any Lockers locked after closing time may be opened and any possessions may be disposed of. Any property stored in the lockers is stored at the individual’s risk and no liability will be accepted by Loughborough Sport.
12. No additional equipment is to be brought into the facility, such as bags or laptops unless permission is obtained from the Facility Staff.
13. No glass bottles, tin cans, or plastic/glass cups or any food (including chewing gum) are allowed inside any training facility. Members should use only suitable closed PLASTIC water bottles or containers.
14. Photography and video recording are strictly prohibited without permission. A request to take photographs in any facility can be made no later than 24 hours in advance via the Sport Duty Manager.
15. Any individual caught attempting to enter a facility with a different members’ card or phone will be subject to a £50 surcharge. If the individual caught is not a member a charge will be added to their account and any access to sporting facilities will be denied until payment of this surcharge is received. A £50 surcharge will also be applied to the account holder of the card or phone who has loaned it to the individual trying to gain entry. Access to the facility will be suspended until either the surcharge has been paid or proof is provided that the membership card had been reported stolen/lost with University Security.
16. All members are required to report defects, damage, or hazards immediately to the Instructor on duty. Members are also required to accept responsibility for damage to, or loss of, equipment and other amenities, which results from their negligence or misuse of the facility and its equipment.
17. All accidents that occur in the facility must be reported to any member of staff within that facility immediately.
18. Anyone appearing to be under the influence of alcohol or drugs will be asked to leave the facility and may be banned.
19. All facilities are operated with a zero tolerance to illegal performance enhancing substances. Any user convicted of or associated by reputation with such substances will not be permitted to train in either facility. In signing to agree acceptance of these Terms and Conditions, you accept that the University will give access to the UK Anti-Doping Authority to carry out any random tests they or a relevant sport’s governing body may wish to carry out in this facility and you agree to submit to such testing as might be required of you.
20. The University reserves the right to refuse entry and use of the facility should an individual’s behaviour or appearance be deemed inappropriate.
21. All members must always be courteous towards staff and other members. This includes the use of electronic media and social media sites in line with the University’s Acceptable Use of I.T. Policy, located on the University website. Failure to do so may result in the refusal of entry or you may be asked to leave the facility.
22. All Loughborough students and staff will be held accountable for their behaviour in accordance with the University’s Ordinances, located on the university website.
Use of fitness suites
23. There is a minimum age requirement of 16 years old to use either Holywell Fitness Centre or Powerbase gym.
24. Appropriate footwear and clothing must always be worn when using the facilities. CLEAN shoes must be worn in the gym areas and users may be asked to leave if they are not. The fitness Instructor's decision on the appropriateness of member's footwear and clothing is final and will be based purely on Health and Safety grounds.
25. In the interests of hygiene, please carry and keep with you a small towel to wipe machines after use or use the paper towel provided.
26. The use of mobile phones is prohibited, except for members listening to music via headphones, or for the use of the My Wellness system at Holywell Fitness Centre.
27. During busy periods please be respectful of other users and limit your time on equipment appropriately. You may be asked to vacate a piece of equipment if an Instructor believes that you have used a piece of equipment for longer than deemed appropriate for the number of users in the facility at these times. An Instructor’s decision is final.
28. In the interests of Health and Safety Regulations and courtesy to other members, users MUST return all loose equipment to its correct storage location or rack after use. This includes all types of ball, dumbbells, benches, lifting bars, mats, plyo frames/boxes, steps, weight discs or any other moveable item. Please note it is NOT acceptable practice to leave such equipment in the position where it has been in use. Action will be taken against persistent offenders. Please read the “Weight Training Rules” poster displayed in each facility. Any member found in breach of this will be asked to leave immediately, with a second offence resulting in either a 72-hour ban from all sports facilities or a £50 surcharge. Persistent offenders may be banned. Misuse of equipment will be treated in the same way.
Use of Holywell Fitness Centre
29. A Technogym myWellness account is required to operate the cardio and resistance machines. Members will need to sign up prior to using the fitness suite, further information can be found on the Loughborough Sport website.
Use of PowerBase
30. Elite times are alternated to either Power or Base. Non elite members are not permitted entry into either Power or Base during elite times and must book a session in the non-elite side during the elite hours. Members who are not authorised to be in the facility at the commencement of these times must have vacated the area by the time these sessions commence. A note will be placed on a member’s record for the first breach of this term. A second breach carries a £50 suspended surcharge and the third time the £50 surcharge will be applied and access to PowerBase will not be permitted for one month.
Use of the Swimming Pool
31. Membership to the Swimming Pool does not include membership to any A.U. Club that train within this facility. To train with either A.U. Swimming, Triathlon, Water Polo, Canoe or Lifesaving, registration and payment must be processed by the Students Union.
32. Adults accompanied with children must obey Loughborough Sport Admissions policy for the number of children to adult ratio. The ratio is 1:1 for children between the age of 0 – 4 and the ratio is 2:1 for children between the age of 4 – 8.
33. All swimmers must adhere to the Loughborough Sport lane etiquette and obey instructions provided by the Lifeguard on duty.
34. Entry is only available during public swim sessions and may be restricted during busy periods. Pre-booking is mandatory and sessions can be booked upto 14 days in advance.
35. Swimsuits must always remain worn when showering in the communal changing rooms.
Use of HiPAC and Athletics Stadium
36. Entry is only available during public access times. Access outside of these hours can only be authorised by the Facility Manager. The decision of the facility manager is final.
37. Membership to HiPAC does not include membership to the A.U. Athletics Club. If not a student at Loughborough University or College, to train with the Athletics Club, key affiliate status must be granted, and registration and payment must be processed by the Students Union (exceptions can be made by the Athletics Performance Programme Director).
38. From September 1st, 2023 access to Hipac will only be an included membership benefit for Gold and no longer be included in Silver or Bronze memberships. If you have a current fixed term Silver or Bronze Membership (3 or 12 months), you will continue to be able to access on the terms of the membership you purchased up until the end date; however, upon the end of your current membership in 2023/24, you will need to upgrade to a Gold Membership for continued access to Open Public Sessions. To access Extended AU Sessions you will need to upgrade to a Gold Membership from September 1st, 2023 as well as purchase an AU Athletics Club or Athletics Partner Membership.
Bookings and reservations
39. Loughborough Sport reserves the right to refuse bookings to members that consistently fail to honour appointments.
40. All casual bookings are non refundable however a credit note will be applied for the cost of the booking paid if cancelled within the cancellation period. Fitness classes, gym sessions, swimming & open athletics sessions can be cancelled upto 1 hour prior to the session commencing. Fitness instructor led sessions can be cancelled up to 24 hours in advance. All facility hire bookings can be cancelled up to 48 hours prior to the session commencing to be eligible for a credit note.
Bookings and reservations for fitness suites / gym floors
41. Any Programme Consultations/Fitness Assessments/1-2-1s/Workshops will be by appointment only. Anyone (including groups) failing to attend an appointment, without notification of cancellation, will be charged the pay as you go price for that booking, regardless of the offer redeemed (this includes bookings offered free of charge). Appointments cancelled within 24 hours of the start time, will be subjected to the same terms of a failed attendance. We retain the right to determine which appointments are offered in each facility and whether they are included as part of a specific membership offer or not.
42. If members are less than 15 minutes late for an appointment, it will be completed only at the Fitness Instructor's discretion. If members are more than 15 minutes late, the appointment may be extended but only at the Fitness Instructor's discretion. Appointments cannot be moved after the start time or within 24 hours of the start time. A new appointment will need to be made.
Bookings and reservations for fitness classes
43. Fitness classes that are included with membership are free of charge and can be booked 7 days in advance or 14 days in advance if you hold a gold membership as of September 1st. 2023.
44. Members that book classes and fail to attend will receive an initial warning. After a second offence a 7-day reservation ban will be placed on the members account. A surcharge will be applied for any further no shows at the value of the current fitness class pay as you go price for the total number of missed classes.
45. During University vacation period the fitness class programme will continue to run with a reduced timetable. On Bank Holidays and University closures days all classes may be cancelled.
Refunds and cancellations for memberships paid upfront
46. Memberships may be cancelled without reason up to 14 days from the date of purchase if no service has been used in relation to that membership. Requests must be received in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org or by completing the cancellation form on our website. If a service has been used, members will be charged on a pay as you go basis for each gym, track, pool and / or class use. This will be capped at the monthly fee for that membership (e.g a Silver gym membership of £30 per month or Gold gym membership of £40 per month). This total charge will be subtracted from the price paid.
47. Refund of membership fees after the 14 days of purchase, will only be granted when the following criteria is met:
- Medical conditions supported by a doctor’s letter stating your name and that you are unable to participate in exercise. We cannot accept letters that are date prior to the purchase of membership.
- A signed leave of absence form from the University
The decision of University Management is final in this matter.
48. In the case of point 47, refunds will be calculated through applying the monthly fee for that membership (e.g a silver membership at £30 per month or Gold membership of £40 per month) to the period of membership used and subtracting from the price paid.
49. In the case of point 47, all members eligible for a refund will additionally be deducted a £20 admin fee.
Refunds and cancellations for memberships monthly
50. Memberships can be cancelled at any time by providing a full calendar month's notice in writing to email@example.com or by completing the cancellation form. Fees may still be collected after notice has been received if payment is due within the calendar month's notice period. To cancel your membership as soon as possible, it is advised that you cancel your direct debit with your bank prior to contacting us.
51. During University vacation and closure periods there will be reduced opening hours.
52. Loughborough Sport reserves the right to close all or part of a facility, withdraw any activity or programme without notice should it be necessary due to unforeseen circumstances, poor attendance, or to adjust the hours of opening for the purposes of maintenance, decoration, repair or other legitimate business of Loughborough University. Where possible, a minimum of 24 hours’ notice will be given.
53. Neither the University nor Loughborough Sport limits or excludes its liability for death or personal injury caused by its negligence (or its liability for fraud).
54. Loughborough University reserves the right to alter these conditions without notice, other than by posting the revisions on the Loughborough Sport website. The alterations or revision will apply from the date of first posting on the website.
Offers and Promotions
55. Loughborough Sport reserves the right to remove any offer or promotion at any time.
56. Members eligible for a discount as an Affiliate to Loughborough Sport, must provide proof of eligibility prior to purchasing a Loughborough Sport membership via firstname.lastname@example.org. Reinbursements will not be refunded to members who have purchased membership prior to having their account status updated.
57. Free promotional offers, will be suspended from a members account immediately if terms and conditions of the offer are not met.
58. Any promotional offer that provides a discount in price will be void if a refund has been authorised. For example, if a free month is issued with a membership sign up, but a cancellation request is received 6 months into the membership, membership fees will be due at the full pro rata fee from the start through until the early end date of the membership.
59. Two week free staff trials are only to be given within the first 6 months of the start date of employment at either Loughborough University or one of our approved tenant companies found here : https://www.lusep.co.uk/tenant-directory . Each member of staff is only entitled to one free trial on their account regardless of any change of contracts or job roles.
60. Loughborough Sport reserves the right to request the wearing of face coverings in our facilities, with the only exceptions being medical exemptions and activities in the water at the pool.
61. All health and hygiene protocols, including social distancing guidelines (if applied), clearly displayed in our facilities and on the Loughborough Sport website, must be adhered to.
62. Loughborough Sport reserves the right to make changing rooms unavailable for changing or storage and ask members to arrive ready to train. Alternative options for storage will be provided and sink and toilets will be available to use, with signs to indicate those which are open.
63. Loughborough Sport reserves the right to limit the number of people in the gyms, pool and HiPAC at any point in time. Loughborough Sport also reserves the right to time limit each individual’s use of our facilities and to restrict the number of uses of each facility per day. For example, a member might be only able to attend a single 60 minute gym session, single fitness class and single public swim session a day.
64. Repeated violation of any time limit and daily use policy, will result in a charge for each gym, track, pool session or class exceeding the allowed usage. This charge will be equivalent to the pay as you go price of that session or class. For example, if the allowed time limit is 60 minutes with 5 minutes grace, staying in the gym beyond 65 minutes, will result in a charge of a single pay as you go gym use.
65. To enter the gyms, pool or HiPAC for a session or class, you must book in advance via the Lboro Sport app, through the Loughborough Sport website or over the phone. Loughborough Sport retains the right to deny entry to any member who has not booked in advance.
66. In the result of any COVID-19 related closures, all memberships will be automatically frozen for the full period of closure.
67. If told to self-isolate or refrain from using sports facilities by either Loughborough University’s Connect & Protect Team and / or NHS Test & Trace / COVID-19 app, and gym, pool and HiPAC facilities are still open, members will not be entitled to a refund for days in isolation.
68. If issued a student misconduct notice for a breach of the University’s COVID-19 regulations, and subsequently receive a restriction across campus, members will not be entitled to a refund for days excluded.