Membership terms and conditions
The below terms and conditions apply to all Loughborough Sport memberships based at Holywell Fitness Centre, Powerbase, HiPAC and the Swimming Pool.
Prior to purchasing a membership with us you should read the terms and conditions carefully and be aware of our surcharges.
1. Loughborough Sport as part of Loughborough University, will process your personal data in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the Data Protect Act 2018. Our privacy notice is issued in accordance with the GDPR Articles 13 and 14.
2. Loughborough Sport may share your data with third parties for agreed data processing, such as the collection of subscription fees or to allow us to keep in touch with you about your account. These communications will be regarding your subscriptions, participating activities and service messages. The third party will not be allowed to use or disclose your data to any business, organisation or individual, unless required by law.
Loughborough University is registered as a Data Controller under the Data protection act 1998 (registration No. Z3179802), if you would like to speak to us about how we collect and process your data, please contact our Data Protection Officer;
Address: Academic Registry, Loughborough University, Epinal Way, Loughborough, Leicestershire. LE11 3TU
Telephone: 01509 222819
5. All memberships are strictly non-transferrable and cannot be suspended, frozen, or resold to a third party.
6. Loughborough University Students, Staff members and Campus Partners will have their membership allocated to their Loughborough University ID card. External members will be issued a membership card. Replacement of lost membership cards shall incur a fee of £5. Members must have their card to access all facilities. Access will be granted by reception without a card on 2 occasions on proof of identity, after 2 occasions entry will be denied without a valid membership card.
7. A photograph will be taken of all new members at the time of taking out a membership or on request when purchasing online. This will be attached to the account to identify the membership holder.
8. We encourage all new members to undertake a free gym induction with one of our qualified Instructors prior to using the facilities. Alternatively, an induction video is available on our website or at reception on request. Those that choose to exercise without seeking any fitness advice from Loughborough Sport, will assume all liability and responsibility for any injuries caused by the exercises they choose to perform. However, competency in using the fitness suite may be questioned by our Instructors at any time and where competency levels fail, a full gym induction MUST be completed prior to accessing the facilities in the future. Failure to comply will result in termination of membership.
9. The ‘Welcome back’ discount scheme, is only available for members who studied at Loughborough University or College in 2019/20, and who had a membership contiguous with the 2020/21 academic year. Members will only be eligible for the ‘Welcome back’ discount if their 2019/20 membership, which would have originally been due to end in July 2020, was not cancelled. Exceptions will only be made for students who were members of Holywell in 2018/19 (academic year membership purchased before November 2018) but were on a placement year in 2019/20; proof of placement is required upon signup to receive the ‘Welcome back’ discount.
Use of all sports facilities
10. Last entry will be 30 minutes prior to facility/session closure. All customers must leave the building 15 minutes after the facility closing time stated in the reception area (this includes changing rooms when COVID-19 restrictions no longer apply).
11. Lockers are available to use within each facility and are operated by £1 coins or locked with a padlock (when COVID-19 restrictions no longer apply). Padlocks can be purchased at reception and cannot be hired. All possessions must be removed after each visit. Any Lockers locked after closing time may be opened and any possessions may be disposed of. Any property stored in the lockers is stored at the individual’s risk and no liability will be accepted by Loughborough Sport.
12. No additional equipment is to be brought into the facility, such as bags or laptops unless permission is obtained from the Facility Staff.
13. No glass bottles, tin cans, or plastic/glass cups or any food (including chewing gum) are allowed inside any training facility. Members should use only suitable closed PLASTIC water bottles or containers.
14. Photography and video recording are strictly prohibited without permission. A request to take photographs in any facility can be made no later than 24 hours in advance via the Sport Duty Manager.
15. Any individual caught attempting to enter a facility with a different members’ card will be subject to a £50 surcharge. If the individual caught is not a member a charge will be added to their account and any access to sporting facilities will be denied until payment of this surcharge is received. A £50 surcharge will also be applied to the account holder of the card who has loaned it to the individual trying to gain entry. Access to the facility will be suspended until either the surcharge has been paid or proof is provided that the membership card had been reported stolen/lost with University Security.
16. All members are required to report defects, damage, or hazards immediately to the Instructor on duty. Members are also required to accept responsibility for damage to, or loss of, equipment and other amenities, which results from their negligence or misuse of the facility and its equipment.
17. All accidents that occur in the facility must be reported to any member of staff within that facility immediately.
18. Anyone appearing to be under the influence of alcohol or drugs will be asked to leave the facility and may be banned.
19. All facilities are operated with a zero tolerance to illegal performance enhancing substances. Any user convicted of or associated by reputation with such substances will not be permitted to train in either facility. In signing to agree acceptance of these Terms and Conditions, you accept that the University will give access to the UK Anti-Doping Authority to carry out any random tests they or a relevant sport’s governing body may wish to carry out in this facility and you agree to submit to such testing as might be required of you.
20. The University reserves the right to refuse entry and use of the facility should an individual’s behaviour or appearance be deemed inappropriate.
21. All members must always be courteous towards staff and other members. This includes the use of electronic media and social media sites in line with the University’s Acceptable Use of I.T. Policy, located on the University website. Failure to do so may result in the refusal of entry or you may be asked to leave the facility.
22. All Loughborough students and staff will be held accountable for their behaviour in accordance with the University’s Ordinances, located on the university website.
Use of fitness suites
23. Appropriate footwear and clothing must always be worn when using the facilities. CLEAN shoes must be worn in the gym areas and users may be asked to leave if they are not. The fitness Instructor's decision on the appropriateness of member's footwear and clothing is final and will be based purely on Health and Safety grounds.
24. In the interests of hygiene, please carry and keep with you a small towel to wipe machines after use or use the paper towel provided.
25. The use of mobile phones is prohibited, except for members listening to music via headphones, or for the use of the My Wellness system at Holywell Fitness Centre.
26. During busy periods please be respectful of other users and limit your time on equipment appropriately. You may be asked to vacate a piece of equipment if an Instructor believes that you have used a piece of equipment for longer than deemed appropriate for the number of users in the facility at these times. An Instructor’s decision is final.
27. In the interests of Health and Safety Regulations and courtesy to other members, users MUST return all loose equipment to its correct storage location or rack after use. This includes all types of ball, dumbbells, benches, lifting bars, mats, plyo frames/boxes, steps, weight discs or any other moveable item. Please note it is NOT acceptable practice to leave such equipment in the position where it has been in use. Action will be taken against persistent offenders. Please read the “Weight Training Rules” poster displayed in each facility. Any member found in breach of this will be asked to leave immediately, with a second offence resulting in either a 72-hour ban from all sports facilities or a £50 surcharge. Persistent offenders may be banned. Misuse of equipment will be treated in the same way.
Use of Holywell Fitness Centre
28. A Technogym myWellness account is required to operate the cardio and resistance machines. Members will need to sign up prior to using the fitness suite, further information can be found on the Loughborough Sport website.
Use of Powerbase
29. None elite members are not permitted entry into Powerbase during elite times. Members who are not authorised to be in the facility at the commencement of these times must have vacated the area by the time these sessions commence. A note will be placed on a member’s record for the first breach of this term. A second breach carries a £50 suspended surcharge and the third time the £50 surcharge will be applied and access to Powerbase will not be permitted for a month.
Use of the Swimming Pool
30. Membership to the Swimming Pool does not include membership to any A.U. Club that train within this facility. To train with either A.U. Swimming, Triathlon, Water Polo, Canoe or Lifesaving, registration and payment must be processed by the Students Union.
31. Adults accompanied with children must obey Loughborough Sport Admissions policy for the number of children to adult ratio. The ratio is 1:1 for children between the age of 0 – 4 and the ratio is 2:1 for children between the age of 4 – 8.
32. All swimmers must adhere to the Loughborough Sport lane etiquette and obey instructions provided by the Lifeguard on duty.
33. Entry is only available during public swim sessions and may be restricted during busy periods.
34. Swimsuits must always remain worn when showering in the communal changing rooms.
Use of HiPAC and Athletics Stadium
35. Entry is only available during public access times. Access outside of these hours can only be authorised by the Facility Manager. The decision of the facility manager is final.
36. Membership to HiPAC does not include membership to the A.U. Athletics Club. If not a student at Loughborough University or College, to train with the Athletics Club, affiliate status must be granted, and registration and payment must be processed by the Students Union (exceptions can be made by the Athletics Performance Programme Director).
Bookings and reservations
37. Loughborough Sport reserves the right to refuse bookings to members that consistently fail to honour appointments.
Bookings and reservations for fitness suites
Please note during COVID-19 restrictions one to one appointments aren't available.
38. Any Programme/Fitness Assessment/Consultations/Supervision will be by appointment only. Any member (including squads) failing to attend an appointment, without notification of cancellation, will be required to pay an administration fee of £5 for a further appointment. Check with each facility to determine what appointments are offered as part of each specific membership.
39. If members are less than fifteen minutes late for an appointment, it will be completed only at the Instructor's discretion. If members are more than fifteen minutes late, the appointment may be rebooked for a later date.
Bookings and reservations for fitness classes
40. Fitness classes that are included with membership are free of charge and can be booked a week in advance. However, while COVID-19 restrictions are in place, the booking period in advance of the class may be shortened.
41. Members that book classes and fail to attend will receive an initial warning. After a second offence a 7-day reservation ban will be placed on the members account. A surcharge will be applied for any further no shows at the value of the current fitness class pay as you go price for the total number of missed classes.
42. During University vacation period the fitness class programme will continue to run with a reduced timetable. On Bank Holidays and University closures days all classes may be cancelled. We reserve the right during COVID-19 restrictions to further reduce the timetable when required.
Refunds and cancellations for memberships paid upfront
43. Memberships may be cancelled without reason up to 14 days from the date of purchase. Requests must be received in writing to email@example.com or by completing the cancellation form on our website. Members who have used their membership during this period, will be charged on a pro-rata basis.
44. Outside of COVID-19 related closures, refund of membership fees after the 14 days of purchase, will only be granted for medical conditions supported by a doctor’s letter or a leave of absence form from the University. The decision of Management is final in this matter.
45. Refunds will be based on the period of membership used and charged on a pro-rata basis of the standard monthly fee.
46. All members eligible for a refund will additionally be deducted a £20 admin fee.
47. Members wishing to transfer to another Loughborough Sport facility must request this change within 14 days of purchase and pay any top up fees. Transfer requests after this period will be charged a £20 admin fee.
Refunds and cancellations for memberships monthly
48. Memberships can be cancelled at any time by providing a full calendar months’ notice in writing. Fees may still be collected after notice has been received if payment is due within the calendar months’ notice period.
49. During University vacation and closure periods there will be reduced opening hours.
50. Loughborough Sport reserves the right to close all or part of a facility, withdraw any activity or programme without notice should it be necessary due to unforeseen circumstances, poor attendance, or to adjust the hours of opening for the purposes of maintenance, decoration, repair or other legitimate business of Loughborough University. Where possible, a minimum of 24 hours’ notice will be given.
51. Neither the University nor Loughborough Sport limits or excludes its liability for death or personal injury caused by its negligence (or its liability for fraud).
52. Loughborough University reserves the right to alter these conditions without notice, other than by posting the revisions on the Loughborough Sport website. The alterations or revision will apply from the date of first posting on the website.
53. While COVID-19 restrictions are in place, it is compulsory to wear a face mask in the communal areas of all our facilities.
54. All health and hygiene protocols, including social distancing guidelines, clearly displayed in our facilities and on the Loughborough Sport website, must be adhered to.
55. Sinks and toilets will be available to use, with signs to indicate those which are open. However, changing rooms will not be available for changing or storage - please arrive ready to train. Alternative options for storage will be provided.
56. Loughborough Sport reserves the right to limit the number of people in the gyms and pool at any point in time, so members can keep a safe distance from each other. Loughborough Sport also reserves the right to time limit each individual’s use of our facilities and to restrict the use of each facility to only once a day. For example, a member can only attend a single 60 minute gym session, single fitness class and single public swim session a day.
57. Repeated violation of this time limit (beyond a 5 minute grace period) and single daily use policy, will result in a charge for each gym, public swim session or fitness class exceeding the allowed usage. This charge will be equivalent to the casual rate price of that session or class. For example, if the allowed time limit is 60 minutes, staying in the gym beyond 65 minutes, will result in a charge of a single casual gym use.
58. To enter the gyms for a session or fitness class, you must book in advance via the Lboro Sport app, through the Loughborough Sport website or over the phone. Loughborough Sport retains the right to deny entry to any member who has not booked in advance. This is a legal obligation to support the Government’s track and trace protocols.
59. In the result of any COVID-19 related closures, all memberships will be automatically frozen for the full period of closure. For 2020/21 academic year memberships paid upfront, Loughborough Sport will only process refunds after 23 June 2021 for those who request a cancellation of their membership before this date; the amount refunded will take into account days closed relative to days open during term time – Autumn Term 5 October 2020 to 18 December 2020, Spring Term 11 January 2021 to 26 March 2021, Summer Term 26 April 2021 to 23 June 2021. However, in event of any COVID-19 related closures, Loughborough Sport will reward any non-cancellation of memberships (and retention of membership to end date of 31 August 2021) with eligibility for a new ‘Welcome back’ discount scheme for 2021/22.
60. If told to self-isolate or refrain from using sports facilities by either Loughborough University’s Connect & Protect Team and / or NHS Test & Trace / COVID-19 app, and gym and pool facilities are still open, members will not be entitled to a 2 week refund.
61. If issued a student misconduct notice for a breach of the University’s COVID-19 regulations, and subsequently receive a 14 day restriction across campus, members will not be entitled to a 2 week refund. If any further COVID-19 breaches result in a suspension and the requirement to leave the University for the rest of the 2020/21 academic year, members will no be entitled to a refund for the remainder of their membership.
In the event of any dispute as to the meaning of the terms outlined above the Director of Sport or his nominated deputy’s reasonable interpretation of the terms is final.
Non-compliance with these Terms and Conditions may result in membership being withdrawn, cancelled or a member incurring a surcharge of £50. Exceptions to these Terms and Conditions will be at the discretion of Loughborough Sport Management.