Facility Updates 2021/22
A new year begins! We know it's been a difficult period but we're excited to return and continue to offer you the best environment to #TrainSafe.
Health & Hygiene
All students returning to Loughborough need to comply with University policies and to take regular COVID tests. The latest University rules and restrictions for studying, working and living on campus are available here.
Your safety and that of our staff is a top priority. For 2021/22, we have made a number of updates in our gyms and other facilities to ease the restrictions introduced due to COVID-19 but also ensure our environments continue to be a safe place for you to train.
We have listed these updates below but first these are the health and hygiene protocols we will continue to apply across campus:
Wearing face coverings in our facilities
To ensure we minimise any risk to all those in our community, we have adopted the following face covering protocol across our sports facilities (please note the heightened expectations in Powerbase due to its recognition as an Elite Training Centre) with the only exceptions being medical exemptions and activities in the water at the pool.
All users are strongly encouraged to wear a face covering indoors when in communal areas. In Powerbase we're expecting users in elite training times to go a bit further and wear a face covering indoors at all times, except when taking part in high intensity activity: this includes keeping your face covered upon arrival, while chatting or getting ready, for low intensity activity (like stretching) and in between activities.
Book your session
To access the gym, book through the Lboro Sport App. Sessions can be booked back to back (up to 2 hours) and multiple sessions can be booked at separate times across the day. If you can't attend your session please cancel it a minimum of 2 hours in advance.
Extensive and frequent cleaning
Our gyms are deep cleaned every night with high-grade anti-viral disinfectant. The team will also clean every piece of kit and surface throughout the day, from dumbbells to treadmills and everything in between.
We've installed self-cleaning stations so you can clean your kit before and after use. There are also hand sanitising stations so it's easy to regularly clean your hands during your visit.
Staff training and expertise
All staff are fully trained on our cleaning and safety measures to ensure these are delivered to the highest standard.
What updates are being introduced in 2021/22?
- From September we're increasing capacities to give our members more opportunities to train. However, sessions will still need to be booked to ensure a smooth flow of users into and out of the gyms.
- If there's space, back-to-back sessions can be booked to extend your training time (up to 2 hours). Multiple sessions can also be booked at 2 separate times across the day if it's a double training day!
- From September there will be no limits on group training or the numbers taking part in sport or physical activity together. This means the reintroduction of pay as you go facility hire of full courts / pitches in our sports halls and on our sports turfs.
- One-way systems are also being removed and, except for Powerbase, all relevant facilities will return to the same entrance / exit.
- We are continuing to offer public lane swims which like the gyms will have increased capacities but will still require booking. There will no longer be changeover periods between sessions, however, users must not overstay into sessions which they've not booked into. For full details on updates in the pool, please click HERE.
- From September, public access will be reintroduced for those who purchase a HiPAC membership or on a pay as you go basis. However, we encourage sessions to be booked beforehand through the Loughborough Sport app as capacity restrictions will be retained.
- From September capacity restrictions will be removed from all changing rooms, except Powerbase. This means lockers will be available in Holywell Fitness Centre and the removal of storage racks from the foyer area.
- However, as there are still restrictions in Powerbase, only sinks and toilets will be available to use, with signs to indicate those which are open and storage racks retained on the gym floor. Please arrive ready to train and keep an eye out for notices of any further changes.
- From the beginning of the Autumn Term, capacities will be expanded for our fitness classes, although we will retain the box spacings on the floor for each individual attendee. We also plan to quickly get back to a term time timetable of up to 65 classes per week.
- Powerbase members will continue to be able to access classes in the Holywell Fitness Centre studios, just as Holywell members can access classes in the Sir David Wallace sports hall studios.