Coronavirus (COVID-19) update
New national restrictions will be in place across the whole of England from Tuesday 5 January.
Loughborough University is a recognised Elite Training Centre and there are elite exemptions for our NGB partners and a number of our performance programmes. All other sporting activity including casual and public sessions in all our facilities will fall in line with the latest local guidelines.
We are striving to offer the best possible sporting experience within the restrictions that have been put in place, whilst at the same time ensuring a practical and safe approach to facility use.
Wearing face coverings in our facilities - updated guidelines 22/01/2021
With an increasingly virulent strain of Covid-19 present in the UK we have updated our guidelines for the use of face coverings within our sports facilities.
From the 22nd of January it is expected that all sports facility users wear a face covering indoors at all times other than when taking part in high intensity activity; this includes keeping your face covered upon arrival, while chatting or getting ready, for low intensity activity (like stretching) and in between activities; the only exceptions are medical exemptions and activities in the water in the swimming pool
Powerbase and Holywell Fitness Centre
Following the latest government guidelines, we will be closing our gyms for general access from Wednesday 30 December at 17:00.
We will be automatically freezing all memberships from this point onwards, members do not have to do anything and will not be charged during this period. Dependent on your membership with us, we will support you in the following ways:
- For students with academic year memberships running until August 2021, all days lost due to closure will be reviewed at the end of your membership and you will be compensated accordingly.
- For members with an annual, short term or credits membership - we will extend your expiry date by the time lost due to this closure.
- For those on monthly memberships, payment schedules have already been submitted for deductions for January's membership fees. Therefore payment will be credited towards the next full month after we re-open.
Full membership term and conditions are available here.
Elite training access
Loughborough University is a recognised Elite Training Centre. This means that Powerbase gym will remain open during this period and can still be used by elite athletes as defined by government guidelines. Unfortunately, we are not allowed to accommodate any other of our valued members at this time.
We will continue to monitor the situation and work together to prioritise and reopen our facilities as soon as it is safe to do so. We would like to thank each and every one of our members for your support. We will continue to update your frequently asked questions as soon as possible.
Student sports clubs
Unfortunately, no training for student sports clubs nor organised recreational activity can take place indoors. The only exception is for students on our performance programmes that have specific permission from their programme lead.
Student sport programmes
Intramural and social sport will not be returning in January a virtual offer will be in place and communicated to all participants.
You can exercise on campus, this should be limited to once per day, and you shouldn't travel outside your local area to do so.
Casual sports bookings
All indoor and outdoor facilities are currently closed for general access.
Following tier 4 guidance indoor fitness classes will not be available. Due to the fantastic engagement with our virtual classes, delivered by our instructors, we will continue to offer these for everyone to take part in.
Virtual fitness classes will be available to gym members as part of their membership, and are available to book through the Loughborough Sport app.
If you are not a gym member, virtual classes are available on a pay as you go basis at a reduced price. Pricing is available in the app.
All class credits valid as of 4 November 2020 will be given an extended expiry date to account for the closure period. We will confirm your new expiry date when we reopen.
Use of Outdoor Areas on Campus
Loughborough University wants to do all it can to play its part in the national effort to help with the COVID 19 outbreak and will be following the government guidelines relating exercise and sport. It is still vitally important that everyone continues to comply with the social distancing rules.
Therefore, the following rules will apply on campus:
- People may still walk/run/cycle onto campus to undertake exercise each day.
- All outdoor sports facilities are closed for general usage. The only exception is for elite training access as defined by NGB and government guidelines.
- All indoor sports facilities will be closed, the only exception is for students on our performance programmes who receive elite exemptions as part of the government guidelines.
- Activity involved touching the same object (e.g. a rugby ball, frisbee) will be allowed amongst those of the same household.
- Anyone breaching these guidelines will be asked to leave by a member of sport staff and/or University Security. Where necessary the police may be called.
If you are showing coronavirus symptoms, or if you or any of your household are self-isolating, you should stay at home - this is critical to staying safe and saving lives.
Children's courses - Swim School, Mini Tennis and The Fitness Club
We will be pausing all our children's courses. While our programmes are paused all remaining lesson credits and class allocations will be frozen till the programmes return.
We will be emailing all of our members with the latest information to keep you informed when these classes will be running again.
Public swim sessions
Public swim sessions will not be available from Thursday 31 December. When we are allowed to offer these again we will update our website and sessions will be available to book in our Loughborough Sport app.
The information and advice regarding Coronavirus is changing daily, therefore members are asked to continue to visit this site and regularly check the following websites for the latest updates and guidance:
- The University’s dedicated Coronavirus website for the latest policies and FAQ’s.
- Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) website
- GOV.UK website
- The World Health Organization
Updated 5 January 2021