Andy Stephens is Director of Finance for the University.
Andy Stephens is a Loughborough graduate and a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England & Wales. Prior to his move to Loughborough, Andy worked in private sector finance and operational roles across corporate recovery, hi-tech manufacturing, global telecommunications and IT development before moving to the public sector in 2007 as Director of Resources at Merseyside Police.
Andy is a board member of the North Eastern Universities Purchasing Consortium, board member and chair of the audit committee for the Manufacturing Technology Centre, deputy chair of the learning & development arm of the British Universities Finance Directors Group and delivers strategic finance input to AdvanceHE’s Top Management Programme. Away from work Andy volunteers as a Community First Responder working alongside East Midlands Ambulance Service to attend life threatening medical emergencies in his local area.
- Strategic leadership of the University’s finances including the formulation of financial and treasury strategies, the preparation of budgets and financial forecasts and the monitoring of performance.
- Advising the Vice Chancellor and the wider executive, leadership and governance functions with regards to financial decision making; supporting and implementing their decisions.
- Reporting the University’s financial position to the governing body, Vice Chancellor and the University’s committees and leadership meetings.
- Providing independent and professional financial advice to the governing body and the Vice Chancellor.
- Responding to the changing funding environment and leading the coordination and delivery of the University’s value for money initiatives.
- Management of the University’s exposure to tax and ensuring compliance with HEFCE, audit and EU/UK procurement requirements and/or legislation.