Loughborough University
Leicestershire, UK
LE11 3TU
+44 (0)1509 263171
Loughborough University

Student Advice and Support Service

For Staff

Students with Less Family Support

Some Loughborough students do not enjoy the same level of financial, practical and emotional support from family as do most of their peers, and as such need additional support from other sources during their time at university. These students fall broadly into the following categories:

If you think you you fall into any of these categories and might need some extra help before and maybe while you are at university, please contact us for more advice. Our service is confidential and we will not dislose anything you tell us to anyone else.

Care Leavers

Care leavers are defined differently by local authorities, Student Finance and the University. Depending upon their individual circumstances they may be eligible for financial support from their home local authority and additional Loughborough Scholarship Programme funding. Most care experienced students will have declared their status on their UCAS or student finance applications. Some students may not fit the criteria specified on these applications, or may have chosen not to declare, but may still be eligible for additional support from the university.

If a student discloses to you that they have experience of care, please ensure that they are in contact with the University’s dedicated point of contact for care leavers, Veronica Moore.

Young Adult carers

Young adult carers are those providing personal, physical, practical or emotional support to another person, usually a parent or sibling. The NUS estimates that between 3% and 6% of students are also carers. Young adult carers may have less emotional and financial support from family than other students. They may be at risk of missing lectures or deadlines, or face high transport costs if they have to return home frequently. There is no specific additional financial support for young carers, however they may be more likely than other students to need to access the University’s hardship funds.

Estranged Students

Estranged Students are defined as estranged when their relationship with their parents has irrevocably broken down. Depending upon whether the estrangement has been disclosed, and whether sufficient evidence has been provided, these students may be classed as “estranged” by Student Finance and as such be assessed for maintenance support based upon their own income rather than their parents’. The benefit to them is that that they will be more likely to receive the maximum support from Student Finance and from the Loughborough Scholarship Programme. Student Finance England’s guidance for assessing whether a student is estranged has recently changed, meaning that some students who previously struggled to evidence their estrangement may now be able to do so.

Our advisers are very experienced in helping students access student loans when estranged, we advise them to talk to us before attempting to make an application as an estranged student, or if they have been unsuccessful in their application.

Students lacking support for other reasons

Students lacking support for other reasons. There are also a number of students who do not fall into the above categories, but who lack support for a number of other reasons. These students may not be estranged or care-experienced but nonetheless have difficult relationships with their parents. This may be due to family breakdown, parental mental health issues or a mismatch in expectations about the student’s life choices. Parents may in some circumstances have withdrawn their cooperation from Student Finance means-testing process, leaving the student with the minimum amount of loan.

This group may be particularly vulnerable as family problems are likely to have occurred more recently, and there may be less awareness of the support available to them.

Students within the above groups are all more likely to experience problems such as debt and financial hardship, housing difficulties, mental health issues, isolation, problems settling into university accommodation or feelings of “not fitting in”. As such it is important that the university is able to identify these students in order that they can be offered additional support.

If you are aware of a student who falls into any of the above categories and needs help whilst at University, you can contact the Student Advice and Support Service for further advice.