Loughborough University
Leicestershire, UK
LE11 3TU
+44 (0)1509 263171
Loughborough University

Student Advice and Support Service


Students with less support

Some students do not enjoy the same level of financial, practical and emotional support from family as do their peers, and as such need additional support from other sources during their time at university. These students fall broadly into the following categories:

  • Care leavers / care experienced students
  • Young Adult Carers
  • Estranged students
  • Students lacking support for other reasons

Click on the headings below for more information on each group.

Care leavers/care experienced students

Care leavers are defined differently by local authorities, Student Finance and the University.

Depending upon your individual circumstance you may be eligible for financial support from your home local authority and a generous package of support from Loughborough University.

You would have been asked to declare your care leaver status on your UCAS for and student finance application. However, some students may not fit the criteria specified on these applications, or you may have chosen not to declare, but you may still be eligible for additional support.

There is a dedicated person in the University who you can approach for additional help. Her name is Veronica Moore. Alternatively, you can make an appointment with one of our advisers who will be able to help you with finance and private-rented housing housing related matters. (If you are looking for accommodation you will need to visit the Student Accommodation Website, or Loughborough Studentpad for more information.)

If you are thinking of coming to Loughborough University, there are events planned which might help you to decide, on the Propel website.

Young adult carers

Young adult carers are those providing personal, physical, practical or emotional support to another person, usually a parent or sibling.

  • The NUS estimates that between 3% and 6% of students are also carers.
  • You may have less emotional and financial support from family than other students.
  • You may be at risk of missing lectures or deadlines, or face high transport costs if you have to return home frequently.
  • There is no specific additional financial support for young carers, however you may be more likely than other students to need to access the University’s hardship funds. Please come and talk to one of our advisers for more help.

Estranged Students

Estranged Students are defined as estranged when their relationship with their parents has irrevocably broken down.

Depending upon whether the estrangement has been disclosed, and whether sufficient evidence has been provided, you may be classed as “estranged” by Student Finance and as such be assessed for maintenance support based upon your own income rather than your parents’.

The benefit to you is that that you will be more likely to receive the maximum support from Student Finance and from the Loughborough Scholarship Programme.

Student Finance England’s guidance for assessing whether a student is estranged has recently changed, meaning that some students who previously struggled to evidence their estrangement may now be able to do so. This is a complex area of student finance so please come and see an adviser for more help.

You can also visit Stand Alone for more information.

Other situations

There are also a number of students who do not fall into the above categories, but who lack support for a number of other reasons. You may not be estranged or care-experienced but nonetheless have difficult relationships with your parents.

This may be due to

  • family breakdown,
  • parental mental health issues or
  • a mismatch in expectations about the student’s life choices.

Parents may in some circumstances have withdrawn their cooperation with Student Finance means-testing, leaving you with the minimum amount of funding. If you fall into this group, you may be particularly vulnerable as family problems are likely to have occurred more recently, and you may not be aware of the help available to you. Book an appointment to see an adviser.