9 February 2022
Doctoral researchers: Finding information for your literature review and beyond (in-person event)
Presented By Library Staff
About this event
This session is designed for first year doctoral researchers.
This session enables you to turn ideas into an effective search strategy and statement. It outlines the current information landscape and takes you through the stages involved in deciding upon and developing an appropriate search strategy, as well as enabling you to create a search statement that you can put into practice. You will be able to seek and find research material in an effective and efficient manner using the resources available to you at Loughborough University. You will be able to test and evaluate the search strategies for your own research topic as well as trying out citation searching techniques and setting up alerts to keep you up-to-date and further develop your knowledge of your research topic.
Outcomes – Participants will be able to:
- Relate the information landscape to their own research, considering the types of resources appropriate for their research field.
- Translate their research question into a search strategy.
- Construct and adapt their search strategies to suit their information needs and circumstances.
- Apply different search techniques, including phrase searching, Boolean operators, truncation, wildcards.
- Recognise the strengths and weaknesses of citations for evaluating information and perform citation searches in relevant databases.
- Identify the range of options available to them for obtaining material, including book loans, electronic journal articles, inter-library loans, visiting other libraries.
- Keep up-to-date with new research outputs in their subject of interest
Additional information: This session is recommended for all new research postgraduates and relates to the Researcher Development Framework’s Domain A – Knowledge and Intellectual Abilities: A1 Knowledge base and A2 Cognitive abilities.
Other information: Please bring a fully charged laptop or tablet for searching the Internet.