Securing Your Mobile Device
As your device could be used for work purposes it's important you protect it in case it was lost or stolen and the data on there got into the wrong hands.
- Protecting access to the device is a must. Methods to control this include pin code, password or fingerprint. Also, it may be possible to setup your device to automatically lock if it's not used for a few minutes in case you forget to do it.
- Encrypting your device protects your device further and some new models do this automatically. The data on there would be scrambled if someone malicious tried to gain access to it without the correct login details.
- Consider remote wipe facility if your device is lost or stolen. Some devices also automatically wipe if someone enters the wrong login details after a certain amount of times.
Tools to help locate and secure lost mobile devices:
How to decide what permissions to give you mobile applications
- What exactly is the application meant to do?
- What will it need to do that? For example, a mapping tool will require your location data.
- Has it got good reviews? Do the reviews look like they are from genuine users?
- Do I trust the people who developed it?
- How do they store this information about your location?
- Do you know how long they may keep it for?
- Will it be sold on to third parties?