This change is scheduled for June 2019.
Google services have provided the University with an effective productivity platform for the past 8 years however, due to Google reducing its investment in its products, lack of support and the versatility of other platforms; the University has decided to provide Microsoft Services moving forward.
Over 90% of HEI’s have switched from Google Services to Microsoft.
All data stored in the Google suite (Docs, Drive, Forms, Photos, etc) except for Google Scholar will be removed.
I’ve used my Google account credentials to access other apps/services, how can I check these so I can update my settings.
Access this information here: https://myaccount.google.com/permissions. You can remove access from this screen or log in to the respective app and update your account details with an alternative email address.
A transfer process has been outlined Step by Step on the Google Services page .
Sharing links are removed when data is taken out of Google. To continue to have access to these files/folders we recommend moving them into OneDrive using one of the following options:
1. Confirm with the document owner that you can create a copy and manually do this onto your device, following which you can then upload them into OneDrive. This option will mean that you will not be able to see latest versions or any edits of the source document as it will no longer be shared between contributers.
2. Request the individual that shared the file with you to upload it on to OneDrive and re-share it with you. This way you both are still able to work collaboratively on the document and they retain ownership.
Yes this is still possible as Google Scholar is not being removed as part of this change. However, we do highly recommend creating a profile using your personal Gmail account, to ensure you can retain your Scholar profile throughout your career.
Information on these services is available on the ITS webpages under Software.
I have paid for Google Play content (Music, Apps, Books, etc), will I lose these as part of the change?
Information stored on your individual devices will not be removed during the change however, once content is removed from the device it will not be retrievable.
Following the removal of Google services, Google Chrome will not be affected and you'll be able to use the browser as normal.
After access to Google services is terminated. Access to Google Analytics will no longer be available using your University account
You can get help and support for your devices by email, by phone or in person.
- The IT Service Desk is open Monday to Friday from 08:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. IT.Services@lboro.ac.uk or by phone on (01509) 222333
- The PC Clinic, in the library is open Monday to Friday from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. On weekends it is open from 12:00 noon to 2:00 p.m. both Saturday and Sunday.
- Drop-in Workshops – Dates TBC