Loughborough University
Leicestershire, UK
LE11 3TU
+44 (0)1509 263171
Loughborough University

International Student Advice and Support

Visa Advice

International students can stay in the UK to run their own business under the Start-up scheme. For additional ways to work in the UK after your studies, you will find more information on the UKCISA website.

Start-up Visa

‌From 6 April 2019 Start-up replaces and expands the previous Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) visa scheme.  It is aimed at ‘early-stage but high potential entrepreneurs who are starting a business in the UK for the first time’. 

People who have previously established a business in the UK or spent 2 years in the Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) or Start-up categories are not eligible.  As part of the endorsement process the University will need to be satisfied that the applicant has a genuine and credible business idea that is innovative, viable and scalable.  

Loughborough Enterprise Network (LEN) will assess whether any proposed business meets the relevant criteria and check that these criteria continue to be met as the business develops.

For more information on this type of visa please click on the leaflet below:

Start-up Visa

Doctorate Extension Scheme

This scheme was introduced in April 2013. It gives international students who have almost finished their PhD (or other eligible doctorate qualification) additional 12 months permission under Tier 4 (General).  After you have been awarded your degree you are allowed to take full-time work.  DES has been designed to give you up to 12 months to try to find work or set up business in your specialist field but you are not compelled to do so. Be aware that DES must be applied for before your PhD completion date.

For more information about the scheme please click on the leaflet below: 

Doctorate Extension Scheme (DES)

The Student Advice and Support Service is authorised to provide immigration advice and services by an order made under section 84(4)(d) of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 (The Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 (Part V Exemption: Educational Institutions and Health Sector Bodies) Order 2001 (Statutory Instrument 2001 No. 1403)). Should you have a complaint about the service you can use the Student Advice and Support Service's complaints procedure or you can use the OISC Complaints Scheme.