Loughborough University
Leicestershire, UK
LE11 3TU
+44 (0)1509 263171
Loughborough University

International Student Advice and Support

Visa Advice

International students may be able to stay and work in the UK under the following two schemes, the graduate entrepreneur scheme and the doctorate extension scheme. For additional ways to work in the UK after your studies please visit the UKCISA website.

Graduate Entrepreneur Scheme

The Graduate Entrepreneur scheme allows international graduates identified by UK higher education institutions as having genuine and credible business ideas and entrepreneurial skills, to stay in the UK after completing degree level studies to establish one or more businesses in the UK.  It is possible to be granted visas for this purpose for up to 2 years (one year at a time).

For more information on this type of visa please click on the leaflet below:

Graduate Entrepreneur visa

Doctorate Extension Scheme

This scheme was introduced in April 2013. It gives international students who have almost finished their PhD (or other eligible doctorate qualification) additional 12 months permission under Tier 4 (General).  After you have been awarded your degree you are allowed to take full-time work.  DES has been designed to give you up to 12 months to try to find work or set up business in your specialist field but you are not compelled to do so. Be aware that DES must be applied for before your PhD completion date.

For more information about the scheme please click on the leaflet below: 

Doctorate Extension Scheme (DES)

 The Student Advice and Support Service is authorised to provide immigration advice and services by an order made under section 84(4)(d) of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 (The Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 (Part V Exemption: Educational Institutions and Health Sector Bodies) Order 2001 (Statutory Instrument 2001 No. 1403)). Should you have a complaint about the service you can use the Student Advice and Support Service's complaints procedure or you can use the OISC Complaints Scheme.