Loughborough University
Leicestershire, UK
LE11 3TU
+44 (0)1509 263171
Loughborough University

International Student Advice and Support

Visa Advice

Doctorate Extension Scheme

The Doctorate Extension Scheme (DES) closed to new applications on 1 July 2021.  From 1 July 2021 eligible students will instead be able to apply to the new Graduate route – please see our separate guide for more information.

If you already hold DES permission, we can continue to advise on related matters, including any questions on visa conditions or dependant family

What are the conditions of my visa?

You should have been issued a biometric residence permit (BRP) giving 12 months permission from the expected completion date as stated on your DES CAS.  You do not have to complete your studies before the expected completion date.

You cannot extend your visa under DES beyond 12 months. If you wish to stay longer in the UK for work purposes you will need to switch to another type of visa.  If you have held permission under DES you will not be eligible for the graduate route in the future.

The date at which you complete your PhD affects your right to work.  While you are still studying you can work in accordance with the normal working conditions, e.g. part time work of no more than 20 hours per week. After you successfully complete your studies you can work up to full-time as you wish but you cannot work as a Doctor or Dentist in training or a sportsperson (including coaches).

You will have ‘no recourse to public funds’ as defined by the immigration rules.

Certain nationals will be required to register the visa extension/new BRP details with the police.

Your extended visa permission will still be sponsored by the University.  You must remain in contact with the Doctoral College Office as and when required in order to comply with the terms of your DES agreement.  If you switch to another visa or decide to no longer stay in the UK please update the Doctoral College Office.   You must also comply with the conditions of your visa.

The Student Advice and Support Service is authorised to provide immigration advice and services by an order made under section 84(4)(d) of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 (The Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 (Part V Exemption: Educational Institutions and Health Sector Bodies) Order 2001 (Statutory Instrument 2001 No. 1403)). Should you have a complaint about the service you can use the Student Advice and Support Service's complaints procedure or you can use the OISC Complaints Scheme.