Loughborough University
Leicestershire, UK
LE11 3TU
+44 (0)1509 263171
Loughborough University

International Student Advice and Support


Council tax and a new course of study

10 April 2017

There are certain circumstances when you might become liable for council tax, so it is important if you are changing your mode of study (e.g. UG to PG ) that you know what to expect.

Occasions where you will be liable for council tax:
  • If you are between courses (e.g. the summer between undergraduate and postgraduate study) you will not count as a student for that period, and therefore will be liable for Council Tax.
  • If you are on a part-time course such as a Masters Degree you are taking over 2 years instead of one.
  • If you are an international student who arrives in the UK before your course starts or stay after your course has finished, and live off campus, you may be charged council tax for this period.
  • If you are on one of the Universities pre-sessional courses, you are not considered to be on a ‘full time course of education' as pre-sessional courses do not last for a whole academic year. This is the case even if you are moving onto another course at the end of the pre-sessional course. If you live in private rented accommodation during a pre-sessional course you will become liable to pay Council Tax. When your main course starts, you will then be able to claim the exemption.
Other situations:
  • If you live with a landlord, they will be the person liable to pay council tax, but they might include this in your contract. If you have agreed the contract you will have to pay the council tax.
  • If you share your house with non-students (including UK/EU spouses/partners) they may be liable to pay the council tax bill. If there is only one non-student in the house they may be entitled to a single person discount on their liability of 25%.

If you get a bill or a summons DO NOT IGNORE IT! If you are not liable then it is easily sorted, but if you do have to pay your council tax, then you will need to make arrangments with the coucil. Come and talk to us if you need further help: advice@lboro.ac.uk, or visit our website: http://www.lboro.ac.uk/services/sass/housing/livingoffcampus/counciltax/